forum popularity ...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bottleneck, Sep 13, 2009.

1. bottleneck

The Devil IHTFP

Typical Kiwi. I'm a consultant.

The Devil, Sep 16, 2009
  2. bottleneck

felix part-time Horta

Rob - good idea on the travelling review circus. I'm up for that.

Corruption - I'm in Bath, no valves but let me know if you'd care for a meet & coffee sometime :)

felix, Sep 16, 2009
  3. bottleneck

Paul Ranson

Bath, vice capital of the south west but with coffee?

Paul

Paul Ranson, Sep 16, 2009
  4. bottleneck

beeroclock

Hi Felix

I'm in Bath too and I think we've been meaning to hear each other's systems perhaps we could get the ball rolling?

cheers philip

beeroclock, Sep 16, 2009
  5. bottleneck

Corruption

Count me in, although I only have a small flat so probably no more than 2 reviewers per session (and even that's a stretch!)...

Would be very interested to hear what you guy have :)

Corruption, Sep 16, 2009
  6. bottleneck

joel Shaman of Signals

You've been keeping that quiet! Excellent idea. Why not keep it exclusive to ZG. That would keep activity levels up.
    Sadly, I have nothing planned for the time being and I posted quite extenvsively elsewhere about recent changes.
    Perhaps there's a role for ZG as a slightly more technical forum that covers a wide range of equipment and isn't afraid of getting into the nitty-gritty of non-foo real audio, and that could also offer some insights into the how and why things work the way they do.
    Just a thought.
    Maybe all most people want to talk about are elephant-cock cables and power supply upgrades.
    Tokyo shows is in a couple of weeks. I'll take lots of photos and post about that here ie lots of elephant-cock cables and audio eye-candy ;-)

joel, Sep 17, 2009
  7. bottleneck

RobHolt Moderator

Agree entirely Joel, and I'll continue doing my bit with more blind testing intended to challenge the foo.

Please do take lots of elephant-cock cable pics though - looking is fine :)

RobHolt, Sep 17, 2009
  8. bottleneck

felix part-time Horta

Well beeroclock & I are now trying to sort-out a date for a Baff sound-off - next weekend at the earliest - so details can follow to anyone else local who may be interested :)

(Corruption - did you get my PM?)

felix, Sep 19, 2009
  9. bottleneck

Noel Winters

i also live in Aust. and think it is a great idea to have something of interest that brings out all the tweakers and tryers. Over 50 years i could write a book on not all my
    good ideas worked but at the time they were great ideas and kept my interest sky high. So a great part of this hobby of ours
    is in the illusion of making something we own sound better
    even if it is to our own ears own satisfactionand most of all
    the fun of it all when it dont work ----well sometimes Noel W.

Noel Winters, Sep 19, 2009
  10. bottleneck

Joe

I'm of the view that nothing gets a forum's posting level up better than a good old slanging match, with threads being locked, people being banned, and insults being hurled.

Joe, Sep 20, 2009
  11. bottleneck

Dev Moderator

It's a double-edged sword. The gains are short term but the damage can be permanent.

Dev, Sep 20, 2009
  12. bottleneck

Joe

I don't how it can be avoided though. Opinionated people post more, and tend to polarise to one side or another, so they get all het up.

If a forum is busy enough (eg PFM) it's easy to skim-read and either actually or virtually filter out those guaranteed to wind you up. On less busy forums, the subjectivists and objectivists (for example) keep riling each other. People who can see both sides of the argument soon lose interest.

Joe, Sep 20, 2009
  13. bottleneck

Dev Moderator

That's certainly been the case here IMO. Some of the posters that I know personally have stopped posting simply for that reason. Others have given up because they see themselves being bullied/victimised. I wish we had a magic wand:(.

Dev, Sep 20, 2009
  14. bottleneck

RobHolt Moderator

There are no easy answers.
    All of the popular forums have a good deal of often heated argument. That is never a problem IMO as it is little different to what happens in the pub, or at work etc.
    The problem is when we reach the next stage - the threats, personal insults and name calling - that doesn't often happen in reality because self restraint kicks in, but the fact that a poster is buffered by a keyboard and screen makes it a sad reality for online boards.

So I think good strong argument is good so long as action is taken to deal with what I can only describe as the more vicious elements of the nutty brigade.

A bland little forum where everything is super calm and collected is a dead forum.

RobHolt, Sep 20, 2009
  15. bottleneck

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

The tipping point is always when an argument switches from being about the subject to about the poster making the argument. At that point any ability to win the argument by making a coherent point or imparting information has been forfeited. He who plays the "You are an idiot" card first is always the loser IMO. Sadly some play it rather early.

Tony.

TonyL, Sep 20, 2009
  16. bottleneck

zanash

yes ....

having been on the pointy end a year or so back ....you'd have the mods wringing there hands and apologizing for the other party's posts ...but little was done

that was untill the other party insulted a mod..then blow me a life time ban tout sweet ...I had to suffer nine months of daily insults ...

no wonder people stop posting ..if they can't be backed up and supported, when they have done nothing but expressed an opinion ...

that said theres been much on the plus side ...rob and his wav's and scots article .....etc

mind you you got rid of the article I did on modding cdp's still .... it was not a great read, but factual all the same.

zanash, Sep 20, 2009
  17. bottleneck

RobHolt Moderator

Sorry to hear that Pete.
    I hardly posted on here at the time so that all sort of passed me by. Clearly nobody should feel bullied, so my apologies on behalf on ZG.

However, time marches on and that is history.

I'm looking to post a thread demonstrating the differences between pre amp tubes. Looking at ECC83s for starters and I have a selection of five here but could do with a few more.
    Do you have any that I could borrow for a week?

Any other ECC83 loans welcome :)

RobHolt, Sep 20, 2009
  18. bottleneck

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

I can lend you plenty of ECC83s Rob, remind me tomorrow. I've got some Brimars, GE, Sovtek LPS & the silver plate EI Telefunken clones all sitting about spare.

Tony.

TonyL, Sep 20, 2009
  19. bottleneck

RobHolt Moderator

Excellent - cheers Tony.

My Phono stage uses one ECC83 in the output stage, with each half of it doing the left and right channels.

Plan is to record a track with different tubes in that position (so only one needed) and stick them up for people to hear.
    If it works as planned it might make a decent reference post.
    IME the differences are pretty obvious so no need to complicate with a blind test regime.

RobHolt, Sep 20, 2009
  20. bottleneck

nando nando

long live zerogain, for those of you who want to discuss decent issues, carry on, with out prejudice,
    nando.

nando, Sep 20, 2009
Ask a Question