Forum Virgin . My system.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by D Louth 77, Jun 13, 2008.

1. D Louth 77

D Louth 77

Gone

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2008
    D Louth 77, Jun 13, 2008
  2. D Louth 77

A.N.

sounds the bollox, any piccies?

A.N., Jun 16, 2008
  3. D Louth 77

SMEagol Because we wants it...

Gallo ref speakers... phwoar... just when I thought my Ferrari red JBL Ti2k's were cool...

I heard the little pod gallo spaker system with the sub and was well impressed with that.

BAT stuff intrigues me, I always think they should be bigger than they are.

Great stuff.

I have a weakness for female vocalists too. Joanna Newsom's "Ys" is probably the most bonkers yet brilliant album you'll ever hear, think bjork on acid playing a harp - very compulsive! Stunning orchestral arrangement. I like the Sundays too. SCIDB sold me reading, writing and arithmetic on vinyl, Harriet Wheeler has a dreamy voice. I think that Beth Rowley sounds (and looks!- very nice). Is it just me, or is it getting hot in here?...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2008
    SMEagol, Jun 16, 2008
  4. D Louth 77

D Louth 77

Hi guys . Thanks for the comments,after a couple of days and checking to see if any one had anything to say with no comments i thought that only those with pictures got any .Not exactly true but thats how i felt .

A.N. i hope to put some photos up when a friend helps me to do it,i am not the best at computers but to be ready i took a number of photos last night ,so maybe later today.

I am aware of most of your kit but not the Rank Concept Amplifier but i must say i do like the sound of the 6c33 valves i use a Bat vk 75 as well as the Rm 200. I assume the TVC is a bit like a Music First pre ? Audio Physics are great but my room isn't any where big enough for these to work. I once tried a pair of ...i think they were called Sparks but they would not work properly.
    I was unable to get the drivers to blend properly.

HI SME ago , i will have to check out Joanna Newsom , Harriet Wheeler and Beth Rowley. I have heard of these women but not actually heard them . Joanna sounds interesting ,i thought she was a country singer ?

BAT manage to do a lot in very clever ways ,but the VK75 stereo amp and the mono versions are massive,in terms of depth .
    I use the widest gap on the Clearlight 4 shelf rack with another platform just above it . If i get the photos on you will see what i mean.

Thanks for the comments ,see what i can do about photos.

Regards D Louth 77

D Louth 77, Jun 17, 2008
  5. D Louth 77

indolent

Nice system. What did you compare the andromeda too ?. I have had a modded eclipse, which I love, for the past year.

indolent, Jun 18, 2008
  6. D Louth 77

A.N.

A.N., Jun 18, 2008
  7. D Louth 77

D Louth 77

Hi Indolent

I didn't have a lot of options to hear against the Moon andromeda ,when i had the money ,several players i wanted to hear were of the market (Wadia 861se,Reiymio cd 77). I am not a big fan of the sound of the Esoterics or Accuphase but i have not heard them in my own system,so the forward slightly lean sound i have heard from those brands might just be related to poor show sound (i have only heard Esoteric and Accuphase at HI-FI shows)

To be honest i had a Wadia 861 in my system once a few years ago,for about a month and i loved what it did in my system .The sound reminded me of a Nottingham Analogue Mentor Reference i had heard years ago in a now gone London dealer Vinyl Tube Audio .
    Lots of weight and scale ,great detail and amazing bass.The soundstaging and imagining was also brilliant . However the Moon when i tried it ,did all of that but with out the spotlighting the Wadia had. The Moon sounded like music and the Wadia's sound was more hyper detailed and all the elements were spotlit thus to my ear sounded more like HI-FI.

Roy Gregorys review in HI-FI + of the Andromeda vs Wadia is very accurate ,with him prefering the Wadia in his set-up . If i had never heard the Andromeda i would have been very happy with a Wadia but as it turned out the Moon in my opinion is a better choice in my set-up.

The Moon Andromeda has this seamless,effortless organic sound which suited my taste in music and the system as a whole.
    I have not heard an Eclipse but most Moon kit has a family sound which has evolved a bit over the past few years .

How did you mod yours?

Hi A.N , as my room is quite narrow ,speakers with more than two forward firing drive units don't blend well (It's a miracle the Gallos do. I get away with it because of the rake back angle ,which is quite a lot in relation to the bass driver) You need distance for the sound to blend seamlessly together , you must have a good distance ,from your listening seat to the front of your speakers . I would love to hear what a few more feet would do for my systems sound . I am pretty sure ,that is what i need to raise the bar a bit more . The room is now holding things back.
    However with the current problems in the housing market i am not going to move house at least not for awhile.

Regards D Louth 77

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2008
    D Louth 77, Jun 19, 2008
  8. D Louth 77

D Louth 77

More pictures of my system for anyone who might be interested and assuming i can follow the instructions left by my computer guy.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2008
    D Louth 77, Jun 24, 2008
Ask a Question