Free To Air

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by MO!, Nov 18, 2003.

1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

About time I got me one of these I thinks. Any advice on what's out there and what to look out for? What's the situation Aerial wise too?

Cheers

MO :D

MO!, Nov 18, 2003
  2. MO!

Matt F

Do you mean Freeview as in the new BBC channels etc?

If so then go for a decent box such as the new Pioneer or Sony one. Both of those have digital outs which might be useful if you want to decode the sound in an offboard DAC.

The Pioneer box is about £90 - that would be my choice. There are some really cheap options around now like that £40 Grundig one Currys/Dixons were doing but that one, for example, doesn't do RGB or s-video i.e. it's fine for a second box in the bedroom but for your main TV it's worth getting something decent.

What you also want to look out for is whether the boxes do EPG (electronic programme guide) - I believe the Sony and Pioneer boxes (amongst others) offer this. Check out http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk for more info on this - they have specific digital terestrial forums.

As for aerials, go to http://www.freeview.co.uk/ and chuck your postcode in - this will tell you how good a signal you will get in your area and whether your current ariel will probably do. Mine said my current ariel should be fine - it's a pretty ropey old standard looking roof ariel but my freeview reception is fine.

Hope this helps.

Matt.

Matt F, Nov 18, 2003
  3. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Cheers Matt.

Yes I meant Freeview. I've done the postcode check and it says I can get it but will "probably" need a new aerial, and they reccomend a wideband aerial.

MO!, Nov 18, 2003
  4. MO!

Rory satisfied

mo, if you've got a dac, get the Philips DTR1500 (as I have) which has the coaxial digi output. The only other one to have had this facility is CJ Cross's old Nokia, and that was around a year ago.

the new Pioneer DTF100 is ok, but sound output is only via an optical out or you have to sacrifice a SCART- at least the Philips gives you coax digi out, as well as analogue phonos.

Rory, Nov 18, 2003
  5. MO!

Matt F

The Philips DTR1500 is a good shout and it's worth noting that you can get them from Boots for £50 if you spend £50 or more on other things (Xmas presents etc.).

The only question mark over it is whether it's "EPG ready" - I understand EPG is a 7 day electronic programme guide that is coming in the not too distant future. How important this feature is to you is another matter of course.

Also, although co-axial digital out might have a slight edge (probably depending on the installation) I'm not sure excellent boxes such as the Pioneer and Sony should be marked down because they have gone down the optical digital out route.

Good spot about the lack of phono out's on the Pioneer box though - I hadn't noticed that. It wouldn't bother me as I'd use the optical out but it is relevant for those connecting to stereo amps. The Sony also lacks stereo phono outs.

Actually, there's one other new box that might be worth checking out - the Panasonic TUCT30. It's got pretty much everything apart from digital out.

Matt.

Matt F, Nov 19, 2003
  6. MO!

Rory satisfied

it (Philips DTR-1500) apparently will be 7 day EPG ready, through the software upgrade via your aerial. Even if it isn't, its still now and next, which some of the boxes on the market (e.g. Thomson/Ferguson) don't support

afaik the Panasonic TUCT30 doesn't even have two scarts, so no way to record off Freeview onto your DVD-R/VCR recorder without unplugging scarts.

If you've got an optical in, chances are that you've got a coaxial in, so Philips all the way for me still :)

Rory, Nov 19, 2003
  7. MO!

Matt F

It does have two SCARTS according to Panasonic:

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/set-top-box/tuct30/

Mind you, I wouldn't go for it because of the lack of digital out. Still a nice box though.

I must say that the DTR1500 offer from Boots is very tempting though.

Matt.

Matt F, Nov 19, 2003
  8. MO!

Rory satisfied

my apologies Matt...i was thinknig of the tuct20

that £50 offer from Boots is a no-brainer if you ask me...

just to throw a completely different wild card into the equation, bennettsonline.co.uk are doing the PACE twin Puma (20gb hard droive + freeview) for £250, thats £100 off. It does have a digital out too, albeit a Toslinkâ„¢ Optical. Should you wish to upgrade the hdd space, I'm informed the Maxtor HDDs intended for laptop pcs will work

cheers

Rory, Nov 19, 2003
  9. MO!

batfink

I just got one of the (older) Panasonic Tuct-20. Very nice box IMHO. Panasonic have stated it won't be upgraded when the 7 day EPG is launched, but that doesn't bother me. I'm sure the new Tuct-30 must be an improvement on the old box, but I'm perfectly happy with what I've got (apart from the fact there are too many shopping channels on Freeview:eek: )

batfink, Nov 20, 2003
  10. MO!

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

Are you sure that Maxtor do HDD intended for laptops????

Pace products are well designed btw.

lAmBoY, Nov 20, 2003
  11. MO!

Matt F

Not trying for one-upmanship here honest but I just did a quick search on the Pace Twin Puma and noticed that digital direct are doing it at £218.97 plus delivery!

http://www.digitaldirectuk.com/products3/index.asp?strSearch=PUMA

Matt.

Matt F, Nov 20, 2003
  12. MO!

Rory satisfied

yeh right.
    i sell them at weekends Matt.

stop trying to pick holes

Rory, Nov 20, 2003
  13. MO!

Matt F

So, I popped in there today, saw they had the DTR1500 and took it to the till complete with 3 x DVD's totalling over £50 meaning that they would do the freeview box at half price (£50 instead of £100).

Thought I'd better check with the till lady before getting the items scanned - "We're not doing that offer anymore - it only ran for a week". So I go and put all the gear back and they lose a sale.

Damn annoying though :mad:

Don't feel too sorry for me though - I have already got a freeview box (the tiny Pace one) - it's just that I wanted one with two SCARTS and digital out.

Matt.

Matt F, Nov 26, 2003
  14. MO!

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

You could wait for the FTView boxes that come with a hard disc for PVR (and radio recording) functionality.

That would be a great product;)

lAmBoY, Nov 26, 2003
  15. MO!

BlueMax

for MOre information on aerials go to http://www.antiference.co.uk/
    Lot of useful info from this long established company.

for MOre information about Freeview receivers go to the dedicated 'Digital Terrestrial' forum at http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/index.php

Also worth a visit is http://www.dtg.org.uk/

Freeview is better quality in the UK than DAB but MPEG means that it is not as good as analogue VHF/FM. But many MOre stations both radio and TV of course :)

Philips DTR1500 is only £79.99 at Whsmiths. Free delivery to nearest store. Plus double points.
    http://www.whsmith.co.uk/whs/go.asp?isbn=30244801&DB=320

But if the signal strength is weak in your area try ones below.
    Some of them has optical digital output.

1: Sagem IDT 602, -90dB Woolworths or Safeway £59.99.
    2: Echostar T-101 FTA Input Signal Level between -82.9dBm and -20dBm
    3: Setpal, -83dB, under various brand names such as Daewoo, Labgear, Triax, etc.

BlueMax, Nov 26, 2003
  16. MO!

avanzato

I have a Netgem box which was a big step up from the Grundig I had before. It's relatively expensive but rarely crashes, pulls in a good signal and is a joy to use. It even has digital output and component video output for those of us with PJ's.

avanzato, Nov 27, 2003
  17. MO!

Wingnut

They're already available. Pace and Humax do one, check here for details and here for a price. Has anyone got one of these? £172 seems like a bargain for a 40GB recorder, I think it only has one tuner though :confused:

Wingnut

Wingnut, Nov 28, 2003
  18. MO!

Wingnut

I can't find any information on the Netgem box having Component outputs, has it definately got them? I saw a picture of the rear, and there are no phono sockets for component video, does it use the SCART connector?

Wingnut

Wingnut, Nov 28, 2003
  19. MO!

avanzato

Yep it outputs component via the scart. It was added in the most recent software update and a new option appeared in the menu.
    I think if you download the manual from the Netgem site, the info is in there.

avanzato, Nov 28, 2003
  20. MO!

Wingnut

Thanks, that's going to the top of my list when I replace my old OnDigital Nokia. You don't know if they have a PVR version, or are working on one?

Wingnut

Wingnut, Nov 29, 2003
Ask a Question