Freeserve - Moving House

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by johnhunt, Jul 17, 2004.

1. johnhunt

johnhunt recidivist

God help me. I have freeserve broadband or whatever they wanna call them selves. after 11 months of crap service they now tell me that it will take 20 working days to change the account from one number to another. Not only this they want to charge me £25 pounds to arrange it. they also expect me to pay for the service during the month when i won't have any.

johnhunt, Jul 17, 2004
  2. johnhunt

Robbo

Thats pretty crap John. I have freeserve broadband too and I have to say that the servive has been very good, cant fault it. However, I havent moved house yet...

Robbo, Jul 17, 2004
  3. johnhunt

johnhunt recidivist

Robbo

My other grips with FS include

Them charging me £70 for the modem and announcing the next week that all modems are free. they refused my request for a refund.

The service was intermittant at best and improved no end when i changed the alcatel modem (that had fallen apart) for a Zoom one. Previously they had blamed BT for problems.

The web based email service was so slow that i abandoned an email address i'd used for a few years before

There customer service people aren't very good either

johnhunt, Jul 17, 2004
  4. johnhunt

BL21DE3 aka 'Lucky'

How about taking this opportunity to abandon Freeserve and go with another services provider? You've got the modem, all you'd need would be the new ISP and the line activated at your new address. Check out www.adslguide.org for a comparison of all the broadband providers and see if there's a cheaper/better one. For what it's worth I've been with Pipex for the past two years and apart from two incidents (one when a backup unit at Pipex failed to come into play and one where BT buggered up the ADSL service) I've had pretty reliable service with good customer support.

BL21DE3, Jul 17, 2004
  5. johnhunt

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

A friend of mine wants to get broadband but the wunnawank website said that it did not support macs.

I phoned them up and asked why it didn't support macs. I was told it wasn't that the hardware would not work with macs, more that they didn't know how to offer support for them.

I asked what happened to freeserves dedicated mac support line (They had one) He wouldn't answer.

garyi, Jul 17, 2004
  6. johnhunt

HenryT

Hi John,

Did you continue to have any problems after your faulty modem was replaced? If not then it may be worth continuing, but it's a bit odd that they actually charge you for the privellage of moving your service from location to another, this is the first ISP I've come across that do this.

If you can get cable where you're moving to it may well be worth paying Freeserve off i.e. pay them the 12th payment of your 12 month term and cancel the service with a view to going with another ISP at your new address?

HenryT, Jul 17, 2004
  7. johnhunt

johnhunt recidivist

henry et al

that's what i'm gonnado. we're trading in FS for BT as the speed of getting the service up and running is key .me and mrs johnh use it to vpn our various work places.

it's not quite done yet so any other recs for a fast set up bb provider would be good
    john

johnhunt, Jul 17, 2004
  8. johnhunt

robert_cyrus

can't fault pipex, another happy subscriber, over 2 years and counting ...
    other recommendations:
    zen
    nildram

robert_cyrus, Jul 19, 2004
  9. johnhunt

MikeD Militant Nutter

I'd happily recomment both Pipex & Eclipse. was with Pipex for 2 years, switched when i moved last november, had a great service from both.

MikeD, Jul 19, 2004
  10. johnhunt

greg Its a G thing

another vote for pipex, albeit as a business customer, but adsl nevertheless.

greg, Jul 19, 2004
Ask a Question