Frequency range

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by T-bone Sanchez, Jul 28, 2005.

1. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

How much does the frequency range of a speaker tell you?? If a speaker has a rated range of 45htz - 22khtz compared to another of say 30htz - 22Khtz would this naturally mean the latter will have a deeper bass in any room? Or could it possibly mean that the latter speaker may have more problems in certain rooms than others??

T-bone Sanchez, Jul 28, 2005
  2. T-bone Sanchez

Joolsburger

It's not much good knowing the frequency range without the db figure at the bottom end too. A speaker with a 35htz bottom end at -3db should have more bass than one 35htz at -6db and often I've noticed manufacturers don't state that second figure. There are so many variables that affect bass but given speakers of a similar design in the same room the one with bass from 35 htz should have more bass than one with bass from 45htz. It's then a question of integrating the speaker properly with the room to keep the bass even. There are a number of spreadsheets around to aid postioning.

The other thing to consider is speaker type, my NS1000s are sealed boxes and have considerably less bass in practice than the speakers they replaced despite having a better bass response on paper, this is due to the lack of a port giving room reinforcement for the bass.
    Unfortunately there is no substitute for listening to speakers in your own room.

Joolsburger, Jul 28, 2005
  3. T-bone Sanchez

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

As Joolsburger says, if the manufacturer states a frequency range without giving the + or - dB figure, the stated figures are USELESS. I'd be wary of any manufacturer who didn't give complete specs re. frequency response.

It should also be borne in mind that there are other factors other than frequency response, by which a speaker's bass should be judged.

7_V, Jul 28, 2005
  4. T-bone Sanchez

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

Aye, such as how fast response rolls off below the lowest quoted figure..
    And how it's impedence varies with frequency, then it's down to your amp!

leonard smalls, Jul 28, 2005
  5. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

Hmmm, thanks for the replies.

The two Im seriously looking at are the ipl acoustics S4tl and the new effeciency speakers; www.iplacoustics.co.uk.

Ive contacted Ivan over the S4tl's and I just waiting for a reply regarding the new speakers. Im tempted with the latter but dont really want to sacrifice bass performance. Also Im worried that the latter will need reinforcing from rear walls, something which i cant do (closest I can get is bout 600mm).

T-bone Sanchez, Jul 28, 2005
  6. T-bone Sanchez

Tenson Moderator

You just need an amp with tone controls!

Tenson, Jul 28, 2005
  7. T-bone Sanchez

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

leonard smalls, Jul 28, 2005
  8. T-bone Sanchez

Graham C

While I definitely agree with Tenson and Leonard - knobs are useful - you are comparing basically 2 types of 2 way speakers.

Both will share a common sound in that the sound is divided into 2 parts. Also both will share a rolled off bass since one has an 8" bass and other has 4 x 5" drivers

The high efficiency will roll off bass from a higher freq, but may have a more forgiving 'open baffle' type of bass response in a UK sized room if it's falling gently.

A genuine 3 way speaker [very rare nowadays in the UK] sounds fundamentally different, since the treble and mid are 'released' from the bass driver and the 3 driver sound works very well with jazz and rock which divide 3 ways naturally.

Graham C, Jul 28, 2005
  9. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

Ivan has recommended the S4tl, he think the A3 will be too bass light in my room. Looks like the S4tl is the winner!

T-bone Sanchez, Jul 29, 2005
  10. T-bone Sanchez

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

bottleneck, Jul 29, 2005
  11. T-bone Sanchez

T-bone Sanchez

Im worried about the physical size of the S5tl's. I did a rough mock-up last weekend and I just about convinced myself the the S4tl isnt too big. Ive looked at wilmslow and impact audio but I feel they're both expensive for what they are. I dont need to buy a cabinet kit as I can do all the woodwork myself. Other options are the Jordan JX92's tl, something using the fostex 206e, proac 2.5 clones or one of the many designs that do the rounds on here. I like the idea of the IPL speakers as they are simple and well regarded.

T-bone Sanchez, Jul 29, 2005
Ask a Question