From PC to System

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Nepherim, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Nepherim

Nepherim Deep Purple Flactulence

I want to get the sound from my PC to my stereo, without spending wads of cash -- it's definiately a tertiary source. I'm happy to run wires, and would actually prefer this to wireless since I suspect it'll be cheaper, and likely slightly better quality, although this is probably a minor issue considering the source. As far as I can work it I have two options.

First is to buy a unit that will do this for me. Very many options here, but they all seem to be wireless and thus around the $200 range. The cheapest I can find is an RCA unit. This whole option seems to be OTT for me.

The second way is to simply run some wires from the output of my PCs soundcard into the back of the amp. Apart from some wire this is pretty low cost, and should play anything I can play on my PC. Only downside might be the quality of my soundcard, but I could spend a few bucks on a cheap card from eBay, of splurge and get one of these m_Audio thingies. Given that the units in the first option go for hundreds of dollars, I can't help thinking this cheap man's option ain't gonna work.

Anyone think of why option 2 won't work, or have any better suggestions?

~ ~ Dave

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2004
    Nepherim, Nov 29, 2004
  2. Nepherim

michaelab desafinado

Option 2 definitely does work. I use that in my office system to great effect. My soundcard is a crappy SoundBlaster Live! card but the sound is still pretty reasonable. My office system is an old Arcam Alpha 6+ and some Tannoy MX2 speakers.

Running wire probably won't work so well if you're running them long distances (10 metres or more) but it's worth a try as it's such a cheap option.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 29, 2004
  3. Nepherim

PBirkett VTEC Addict

EMU 0404 is much better than the Audiophile 2496 btw ;)

PBirkett, Nov 29, 2004
  4. Nepherim

Thanks Paul. A quick bit of research on the EMC provides a great link describing exactly what I want to do!

The distance I want to run the cable is probably just under 10 meters. Now my problem is finding some stupid Naim connectors for the amp side. I'll try Radioshack tonight.

~ ~ Dave

Nepherim, Nov 29, 2004
  5. Nepherim

Ran some cheap speaker cable from the sound card to the back of the Naim. Works suprisingly well, and now I can listen to radio stations and net*stations from around the globe! Not bad for a total of $10 plus some stuff I already had lying around. :)

Nepherim, Dec 4, 2004
  6. Nepherim

MO! MOnkey`ead!

When I pull my finger out and finish butchering this computer, I intend to do this.

Just running a set of cables straight form the card to amp, and/or a digital cable to a spare stereo DAC input seemed the obvious way to go.

I'd be interested in MOre about the other possibilities and their advantages/disadvantages

MO!, Dec 6, 2004
  7. Nepherim

greenphotos Got any Broken NADs?

I've just put a PC in with my Hifi stack (soon to be cased in a matching power amp case) and networked the 2 together with a long Cat5e crossover cable.
    iTunes does the rest for me, it sees the music on iTunes upstairs, and shows it as a list on iTunes downstairs. The data stream across the network is fantastic (100mbps as per usual), and you can rig up a TV card to your TV and work it like a Juke box.

Also did my accounts downstairs on the comfy sofa.

Mark

greenphotos, Dec 6, 2004
  8. Nepherim

That's a pretty good idea too. I have some old-assed hardware sitting around that I could use for that. Gotta make it run silent first though...

Nepherim, Dec 6, 2004
  9. Nepherim

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i use an old p2 400 with some big hard drives to store my music collection. i pipe it out via a squeezebox and a/s dax-2 sounds bloody good to me.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Dec 6, 2004
  10. Nepherim

Squeezeboxes look really cool -- but $200 is just too steep for something I mucked together for $10. Only difference is I have to walk to the other room to change channel!

Nepherim, Dec 7, 2004
  11. Nepherim

greenphotos Got any Broken NADs?

There is a company called HUSH that makes silent PCs. No fans, just a HUGE heatsink. Thier PC's look the business too! (See attachment)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They look quite like the NAD systems I have. I'm doing the same idea but trying to find a NAD power amp casing to put my PC inside... Someone HELP" :(

Mark

greenphotos, Dec 8, 2004
Ask a Question