From Rotel RA-01 to SonicT?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by PBirkett, Jun 27, 2005.

1. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I'm looking into potentially replacing my Rotel with a SonicT, because apart from anything else, I am pretty skint, and the money would be welcome, given that I could sell the Rotel upwards of £130 and buy one of these and a PSU and whatever else might be needed for about £50 or under.

But will it be worth doing?

At the moment, I am driving some Tannoy Profile 631 SE's, but they are almost certainly going to be making way for my Rega Kytes once I have got them repaired.

Given that my room is very small and the Kytes are supposed to be very easy to drive, the low power rating does not particularly concern me - I cannot envisage a time when I will ever listen louder than about 90 decibels anyway.

Obviously you all know that my taste is for all kinds of trance, but also a bit of rock and pop thrown in too, and watching TV and the odd DVD (everything now is done through my PC).

What I guess I want to know is will I lose anything (apart from power) by going from the Rotel to the SonicT, whats the quality like? Whats the bass like? Good bass is pretty important to me.

Also, how would I connect my headphone amp up to this? I guess I'd need a switch box?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

PBirkett, Jun 27, 2005
  2. PBirkett

Rory satisfied

i'm a tad disappointed with my sonic t to be honest mate. Unless you're really willing to do a DIY job on a psu probably not recommended. Runs out of steam WAY too easily and the speakers are more or less next to me (they're for a piano) Its driving some 8 ohm, 87db Acoustic Energy AE301s

Rory, Jun 27, 2005
  3. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Not too good then?

Who'd have thought it, after all the reviews.... I especially liked this from TNT Audio :lol:

PBirkett, Jun 27, 2005
  4. PBirkett

Rory satisfied

didn't what hifi say that about QED Silver Anniversary :p

admittedly, the potential is probably there with teh Sonic T. But i can't be arsed with fitting rca sockets, banana speaker sockets, upgrading psu's and arsing around with diodes. Plus its not very speaker friendly- tried it with the Ae301s as above, the Ae300s and Rogers LS4as and it wasn't very happy with any of them :(

Rory, Jun 27, 2005
  5. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Dunno. Dont read it. :p

PBirkett, Jun 27, 2005
  6. PBirkett

Rory satisfied

well they started banging on about it being the only speaker wire to have or something in 97 and haven't let up yet ;)

Rory, Jun 27, 2005
  7. PBirkett

zanash

Its the 87 db thats killing the sonic T ......you need about 90db my speakers are 89db and goes as loud as I need....

You need a a good pre amp to feed them and some decent connections and a PSU of at least 0.5amp at 13v dc

Anew box comes in handy too.

I've put together some instructions on how to do it pm me.

zanash, Jun 27, 2005
  8. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Thanks zanash, i would be doing it mainly as a way to save money, but judging from what you say, to get it *ideal* wouldnt save me much at all.

Along with Rory's comments about power handling, I think I might just give it a miss. Thanks anyway :)

PBirkett, Jun 28, 2005
  9. PBirkett

Rory satisfied

10. PBirkett

zanash

I just put a single sonic T up against £4000 worth of valve amplification, in a system worth close to £20000 ......the valves were better but not by much, they weren't totally disgraced ..the T-amps sounded a little sterile and thin but listenable, but at a total outlay of less than £100 what do you expect!

zanash, Jun 29, 2005
Ask a Question