From valves to digital amplification?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mike P, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Mike P

Mike P

Valve amps are becoming increasingly impractical due to the usual problems of running hot (visiting nephews and resident cat!)
    I am therefore thinking of changing my Canary Audio 303 mono's for a digital amp, possibly Bel Canto Ref 1000's. Has anyone moved from valves to digital and does anyone have any other suggestions?
    The rest of the system is a Resolution Audio Opus 21 CD player and Living Voice Avatar OBX RW speakers with Townshend Isolda cabling. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Mike

Mike P, Oct 9, 2006
  2. Mike P

Mr_Sukebe

I use a BC evo2i with my Impulse Ta'us, so logically it's not that different to what you're proposing. I've heard both LVs and both pairs of Impulse speakers that I own, and think they have a lot of similarities in presentation.
    Can't say I've ever owned a valve, but can happily state that the BC does sound pretty damn awesome with my Impulse speakers.

Systems with similar types of layout to the valve/LV combo you're talking about that I have heard are at various shows where I've heard LVs driven by Border Patrol and Kondo stuff, and RobHs with his modified WADs (I think using 6550s) driving his own Impulse H2s. Comparing my BCs to the above amps, IMO the BCs have better bass control and depth, but don't seem to have quite the midrange and absolute dynamics that the better valve systems have.

I've also compared the BCs against some tranny amps, and the BCs do appear to have better punch than the trannies I've heard and I certainly prefer them.

If you're in London, PM me and I can give you a quick dem.

Mr_Sukebe, Oct 9, 2006
  3. Mike P

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Mike, make sure you try them together first..

I don't think you'll find a solid state amp that works with your LV's like your Canary amps.

Perhaps a Sugden masterclass would be a place to start, or try speaking to Kevin at Definitive Audio (he is mr living voice) for some suggestions ?

bottleneck, Oct 9, 2006
  4. Mike P

Garmt

Do try a pre-amp with your Opus 21, it is better with one in most case. Also try the Lavardin IT with the OBX-RW. They are a very good match.

Garmt, Oct 9, 2006
  5. Mike P

Mike P

Thanks for the replies chaps. I used to own a Masterclass Integrated which was a good amp but not as good as the T+A V10 valve integrated which replaced it. The Canary amps are better again but I think I need something cooler or at least covered if still valve. The other option might be a McIntosh MA2275 as this at least is covered.
    Garmt, I have not heard the Lavardin equipment but I have heard good reviews - is this a step up from the Sugden Masterclass?

Thanks again,

Mike

Mike P, Oct 9, 2006
  6. Mike P

Hawk

I run an Opus 21 into Border Patrols into LV Avatars. I have also heard the Bel Canto Ref mono blocks in my system. Whilst they are very very good, the standard ones are some way off in terms of that 300b midrange you'll be enjoying right now. They have lots of grip and a clean open sound but they are a different proposition to the BPs. In standard form the bass also lacks some tone and shape. They are good, but also quite different so IMO its important to partner them accordingly.

Hawk

Hawk, Oct 9, 2006
  7. Mike P

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I agree..

I've tried to leave valves a few times, but really - you can't get that sound elsewhere.

very close... is a class A power stage, being driven by low voltage valves. A hybrid, if you like.

bottleneck, Oct 9, 2006
  8. Mike P

Garmt

It is certainly DIFFERENT. You will not get the magic in the midrange, but it will be more dynamic and better at the frequency extremes. And it is very practical!

Garmt, Oct 9, 2006
  9. Mike P

Mike P

Hi Garmt, Sorry, are you comparing the Lavardin to the Canary Audio 300B's? I was interested in a comparison between the Lavardin and the Sugden Masterclass.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike P, Oct 9, 2006
  10. Mike P

Baudrillard

Chances are that your Canary amp is running hotter than it should because it will probably have a 220v transformer. When you plug it into the UK mains you be getting 6V on the heaters rather than the required 5V- not ideal with expensive 300bs.

I recently bought a Canary amp direct from Canary and have added a Block step-down transformer as a matter of necessity. Canary refuse to supply amps to the UK with the proper transformers or CE certification and also refuse to answer any emails on the subject. Sales enquiries will be promptly answered, however!

Baudrillard, Oct 9, 2006
  11. Mike P

Mike P

Very useful and interesting information - many thanks. Where did you buy the Block step-down from?

Many thanks,

Mike

Mike P, Oct 9, 2006
  12. Mike P

Baudrillard

http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/s...feceefdffhdfij.0&cacheID=uknetscape&Nr=avl:uk

I'm using the 5 amp one and it seems to work perfectly. If yours is push pull like mine, it shouldn't be running hot- just a little warmth above the output tubes.

Seriously, you may struggle to find anything as good. Perhaps consider getting custom cages made.

Baudrillard, Oct 9, 2006
  13. Mike P

Papa Lazarou

I own the Ref 1000s that Hawk mentioned. They are very good solid-state amps imo, but i wouldn't partner them with LV speakers. The LVs require valves to make them really sing. I've heard them sound sublime with valves and almost ordinary with solid-state. They are excellent speakers but IME need to be partnered with valve amplification to give their best (which is very good imo). They are quite clearly voiced for the rich midband a valve amps provides.

FWIW i have now had my monos modded by Wadiameister - they have improved considerably across the audio spectrum - far better bass texture, more open midband and better imaging/detail.
    They're great amps just not the ideal partner for Living Voice speakers imo.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2006
    Papa Lazarou, Oct 9, 2006
  14. Mike P

Garmt

Yes, I am sorry... :) I have heard the A21SE next to the Lavardin on the OBX and it is warmer, less transparent and has less depth of field compared to the Lavardin. It was a VERY fine match though. I am afraid I don't have any experience with the Masterclass amp.

Garmt, Oct 9, 2006
  15. Mike P

Mike P

Thanks Garmt. :)
    Re the stepdown transformer, the link posted does not work. I have found a 5 amp unit on the RS website, catalogue number 293-2678 is this the one?
    Finally, would I need 2 of these or is there a way to run both monoblocks off 1 unit?

Many thanks again,

Mike

Mike P, Oct 9, 2006
  16. Mike P

Baudrillard

Step up/down autotransformer,5/2.5A o/p:
    http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/searchBrowseAction.do?N=0&Ntk=I18NAll&Ntt=293-2678

Hope that works- if not go to rswww.com and click on the blue tab, transformers, auto transformers and go to page 3.

Yes, you will need 2 if you have monos. You should also be sure that you get the one that matches your transformers correctly or get someone to help order the correct one- prob the 5 amp one. They are very easy to fit. :)

Edit: And you'll save a few quid if you order online.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2006
    Baudrillard, Oct 9, 2006
  17. Mike P

speedy.steve

Why not build of get someone to build a removeable mesh cover for the hot bits?
    I assume you have the amp at the top of a rack or plinth so height
    is not an issue.
    It's what I would do if I still had tiny fingered children.

speedy.steve, Oct 10, 2006
  18. Mike P

zanash

Now thats a good idea !

I was in B&Q the depot and they had sheets of fine mess that you can cut and bend .......

would not have thought it would be too difficult ......I was thinking of doing something similar for the cyber800

zanash, Oct 10, 2006
Ask a Question