FS M-Audio Superdac, heavily modded

Discussion in 'Classified Adverts' started by NOS-4-A2, Apr 29, 2004.

1. NOS-4-A2

NOS-4-A2 Creature of the night

Due to a change in plans, Wadia-Miester's Project Superdac is up for sale, heavily modified and sounding superb.

I have done back to back comparisons with my Chord DAC64 and although I can't say that it sounds better, it certainly sounds as good, just different at one sixth the price!. It has stunning pace and timing that really moves the music along and only really loses out in the depth and width of the sound stage, which, although still very good, are not quite as expansive as those presented by the DAC64.

This is the M-Audio Superdac used in the superdac thread and has had single ended outputs (phono) added. The DAC has had: all caps uprated, Oscons/Stagnets/rubycons/Analogue devices AD 825 op-amps (baised into class 'A') on the single ended outputs, Omiga audio wire from board to sockets, Schoktty Diodes, Linear Technology Regulators, receiver chip mods, top spec metal film caps (Vishay) and 1% halcro resistors, unit has been damped also, recently had new dac chip and reciever chip, unit is 18months old and pretty low use. It also has seperate off board psu (Fast trip on inlet side & output) with a PTFE silver plated power lead (from PSU to DAC).

It can accept signals up to 108Khz into toslink/spdif/XLR and has balanced and single ended outputs.

£275, I can accept cheques or crdit cards via PayPal

I have been using the Superdac with my Perpetual Technologies P1-A upsampler (also for sale) and it really works well in this configuration.

Any questions - please PM or email audio at pointycat dot com

NOS-4-A2, Apr 29, 2004
  2. NOS-4-A2

Bump

NOS-4-A2, May 1, 2004
  3. NOS-4-A2

angi73

you have PM

angi73, May 1, 2004
  4. NOS-4-A2

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

The dac can be further improved fro a small outlay, 2 small mods will bring the depth and body up to beyond a stock dac 64 whilst retaining the PRaT and fun factor, also great detail and openiness to. Wm

wadia-miester, May 1, 2004
  5. NOS-4-A2

BlueMax

There seems to be lot of interest in Super DAC 2496 and the mods by WM. :)

How about making a batch of 10 ?

BlueMax, May 4, 2004
  6. NOS-4-A2

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

BM,

I'm flattered :eek: however, its a easy one to do, far more gains can be had from removing the internal rectifion curcuits and supply voltage doubler, and contruction a dedicated multi rail psu, (quality cables between them ;) ) and a different op-amp.This then takes its to a respectable preformance level :) Wm

wadia-miester, May 4, 2004
  7. NOS-4-A2

Now sold :)

NOS-4-A2, May 4, 2004
Ask a Question