FS Musical Fidelity X-A200 Monoblocks

Discussion in 'Classified Adverts' started by Dev, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Dev

Dev Moderator

It's related to the recent upgrade of the forum software.Mark will sort it out soon(ish), but only if the feedback is positive:D.

Dev, Feb 2, 2006
  2. Dev

gsrai

As if you had to ask of course its going to be negative:D

Only joking, great deal and you actually know what you are talking about it ;) - thanks for the advice.

It's like I said I am surprised :confused: that the X-A2 has stolen my heart at the moment over the X-A200's (wow, they're huge) but time will tell.

Anyway, anyone looking at this thread - Dev's a great guy and trade happily with him!

gsrai, Feb 2, 2006
  3. Dev

MO! MOnkey`ead!

You prefer the X-A2 without the 200s?

MO!, Feb 3, 2006
  4. Dev

gsrai

No that's not what I meant (I have a load of MF gear at the moment so its a long story) - what I mean is the X-A2 has really struck a chord with me (nostalgia taking over methinks!). The X-A200's don't really challenge my X-P200 but time will tell (I am only using PMC GB1 speakers!).

gsrai, Feb 3, 2006
  5. Dev

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I'm using an X-A2 and apart from the lack of reMOte, i'm MOre than happy with it. As for speakers, you shoud be happy with them PMC! I've been using my surround speakers for the last few days! JaMO Surround 160 (http://www.cinenow.com/us/materiel.php3/tid,4/id,345) They do the job, but have little in the way of scale and bass :rolleyes:

I've considered adding power amps (probably the 200s), but I think the speaker repair/upgrade is MOre pressing!

MO!, Feb 3, 2006
  6. Dev

gsrai

As I have said to DEV, this purchase came along at the right time for me as I am considering a wholesale change to my system to free up some cash but not lose too much on the sound front (gain if possible!)

gsrai, Feb 3, 2006
  7. Dev

Dev Moderator

FWIW G, I'm already missing the biamped setup I had. The Rogue does certain things very well (such as mid range, treble clarity), but it does not image as well as the MF combo did (at least in my room). I played a test disc for confirmation and it looks like I have an issue:(. The sound stage has shifted to the left. Moving the speakers around will no doubtedly help and I'll also try swapping the KT88 tubes for the 6550s.

What I mean to say GS, is that you better like, nay, love the MFs or else!!! :D. In my room, the biamping really brought out the best in my system.

Dev, Feb 4, 2006
  8. Dev

gsrai

Dev dont worry I tested them today a bit and you are right the imaging is impressive but I can tell you one thing - the X-P200 is better (although double the price!).

Funny how I had forgotten but the X-A2 has to be used at 12 o' clock on its own where as the powers are no where near that level of stress and require the X-A2 to be at c/ 9 o'clock!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2006
    gsrai, Feb 4, 2006
  9. Dev

Dev Moderator

12 o' clock? You're deaf mate, pardon? :D I never went beyond 10. Of course it could simply be because my speakers are more sensitive.

If I'm ever in your part of the country and you still have them, I'd like to hear the X-P200.

BTW, what do mean double the price? The X-A200s were £1k new.

Dev, Feb 4, 2006
  10. Dev

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Am I right in thinking the X-P200's are the v3 version of the XA200's?

MO!, Feb 4, 2006
  11. Dev

Dev Moderator

Yes, but they're odd shaped :) and produce less power. On the plus side, they can be bridged to double it's output.

Dev, Feb 4, 2006
  12. Dev

gsrai

Yes that's right. you basically get a 200w monoblock or like the X-AS100 you can turn it into 120w 2 channels.

With any luck I will have all the poweramps next week (X-AS100, X-A200 and X-P200) under one roof and I will then decide what to keep and ebay the rest. Mind you, if sombeody wants the V3 pre/power I will probably let it go.

gsrai, Feb 4, 2006
  13. Dev

gsrai

Dev, you are right - I had managed to get the interconnects confused between all my gear - now its corrected you're right, I'll be lucky to get up to 10 o' clock.

You are more than welcome round whenever you are nearby!

The X-P200 is £900 new each so to get the equivalent 200w you need to X-P200's in monblock mode - hence the double (I thought the X-A200's were £1000 per pair new!)

gsrai, Feb 4, 2006
  14. Dev

Dev Moderator

Yes X-A200s were £1K per pair. I sit corrected.

Dev, Feb 4, 2006
  15. Dev

gsrai

Sitting downs the best way to be!

You may not get the chance to hear the X-P200 (sorry :( ) as I am about to put the whole V3 system up for sale in a few minutes!

I am going to stick with the old x-series (might ring MF to see if the can put a remote function on the X-A2 to make it like the X-A200R)

Perhaps you could buy it :JPS:

gsrai, Feb 4, 2006
  16. Dev

MO! MOnkey`ead!

If the reMOte is the only difference between the X-A2 and A-A200R, then you might be able to sell the X-A2 and replace it with the reMOte version for not much difference. I've seen them go for similar prices on ebay.

MO!, Feb 4, 2006
  17. Dev

Dev Moderator

reMOte IS the only difference between the X-A2 and the X-A200R.

Dev, Feb 4, 2006
  18. Dev

gsrai

From what I remember the remote is the only difference but I also know that there wasn't a single remote to control cd and amp so I reckon it might be worth giving them a shout - very helpful people.

I vaguely remember somebody saying that the X-A2 had the cleaner sound than the X-A200R - some interference with the IR sensor.

Sorry to hear you are having some regrets but I would persevere with the valves as it might just be a "time and getting used to" thing.

gsrai, Feb 4, 2006
Ask a Question