Fualty amp problem.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, Oct 30, 2004.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Its just over two years old as well :rolleyes: :mad:

The problem is when the source direct button is off the sound only comes out of one speaker. When the button is it comes out of both speakers but there is no sound stage and it sounds very mono. All sense of realism is lost.

Does anybody know what the problem could be and how much it will cost to put right? If it is simple my uncle used to fix TVs and VCRs to compoment level so I am sure an amp will be no problem for him. I don't mind if a fix involves shorting out the entire source direct/balance circuit as I never need the balance pot anyway.

I am quite annoyed as I am going to Ireland in Christmas so there is no way I can even afford a basic replacement amp.

amazingtrade, Oct 30, 2004
  2. amazingtrade

It is working in stereo now but the source direct off button still only works via one speaker

amazingtrade, Oct 30, 2004
  3. amazingtrade

Rory satisfied

same thing happened with my old Marantz PM44se amp. It just needed a cleanup inside and a bit of contact cleaner near the volume control iirc

Rory, Oct 31, 2004
  4. amazingtrade

Thanks when I have finished my work I will take it apart and use my dust spray and ispropanol on the contacts. It dosn't sound right even though its in stereo now there is still somthing missing.

amazingtrade, Oct 31, 2004
Ask a Question