Funky designs for hifi shelves/stands?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by maddog 2, Aug 3, 2004.

1. maddog 2

maddog 2

A friend of mine wants to build a shelving system to house his hifi and we've been coming up with possible ideas for designs. He's a builder and carpenter so his scope is quite wide to build something interesting.

He doesn't want a tradition floor-mounted hifi rack but instead wants the hifi (amp, CD and tuner) to live on a wall-mounted unit or shelves of some kind.

I was wondering if anyone has any web links to interesting designs/photos which we could use to develop our ideas, or even pinch if we see a funky design. ;)

ta

maddog 2, Aug 3, 2004
  2. maddog 2

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

my favorite shelving designs are when you dont see any struts or bolts.

Clever designs from Ikea and other places hide them behind the shelf itself, it looks a lot neater.

He could integrate some kind of cable tidy into the design aswell. Perhaps seperate ones for power and signal cables would make sense.

hey, if he's got small components, he could use good ol' Argos granite kitchen things!

bottleneck, Aug 3, 2004
  3. maddog 2

maddog 2

Yeah, we'll be hiding all the cables.

and I've already suggested the Argos idea :)

He fancies quite big thick shelves mounted to the rear wall, either made out of real timber or maybe stone of some kind (with BIG strong but hidden brackets). I suggested that he could get three granite/stone plinths made to sit under the components, with 3 cones under each plinth, to act as isolation platforms. Big timber shelves resonate like mad so it's not a good idea to plonk the components directly on them.

His concern is more design-based than hifi so it's doesn't have to be nerd stuff.

Does anyone know any websites that have cool interior design stuff? :cool:

maddog 2, Aug 3, 2004
Ask a Question