funky modern wallhangings for the hifi room...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by evilSimon, Apr 7, 2004.

1. evilSimon

evilSimon

..where do you guys get yours from?

I set up my system last night after 6 months of it being boxed up after buying a house & redecorating, and my newly emulsioned walls are echoey to say the least - when I clap, I get that fast metallic reverb effect :(

So I'm after one or two medium-sized funky-modern-kinda-lookin rug/wallhanging type things. Going to look in Ikea this w/end :rolleyes:, but not really sure where else to look - any ideas?

What's more, I haven't the faintest idea how I'm going to attach them to the walls..!!

evilSimon, Apr 7, 2004
  2. evilSimon

Sgt Rock

No more nails :D

Sgt Rock, Apr 7, 2004
  3. evilSimon

technobear Ursine Audiophile

You could sew tabs onto one end and hang it from a suitable curtain pole.

You could use riveted eyes and puts hooks in the wall.

You could glue on a batten and hook this onto a similar batten on the wall or onto hooks.

You could glue it to a sheet of hardboard and then hang it like a picture (albeit a rather heavy one).

:)

technobear, Apr 7, 2004
  4. evilSimon

evilSimon

No more nails LOL.. actually, maybe I should stick the missus to the wall.. that'll break up the reflections all right, and keep her where I can see her.

On second thoughts that's a bad idea, cos then id have to make my own tea.

evilSimon, Apr 7, 2004
  5. evilSimon

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Aha - a REAL, non-PC man! Just the way I like it - let's rise up and seize control of the fascist-PC-brigade state! Yeah baby yeah!

Back on topic, you can also get iron-on sticky stuff so you don't even need to do any sewing/stitching; my old house mate did this with an old bedspread she had knocking around - it looked really cool when finished.

If it was me though, I'd put a baton in the top, roll the hanging around the baton, and use loads of panel pins to hold them together. Then, if you decide to use the sheet somewhere else, you're covered.

domfjbrown, Apr 8, 2004
  6. evilSimon

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Ha ha very funny :)

SteveC, Apr 8, 2004
  7. evilSimon

johnhunt recidivist

go too greenwich market . the indooor part has a rug shop that sells that kinda stuff

johnhunt, Apr 9, 2004
  8. evilSimon

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Just a suggestion - you may not find rugs on the walls deals sufficiently with the problem.

You might want to try thicker purpose made acoustic material behind the rug, if you're trying to keep it invisible.

You could sew/glue rockwool, acoustic foam or any manner of items to the back of the rugs.

Im sure you know this mate, but you want to cover the first points of reflection on the rear and side walls.

Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Apr 9, 2004
  9. evilSimon

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Whatever you hang on the walls will be much more effective if there is an air gap behind it. About 2 inches should do it.

technobear, Apr 9, 2004
  10. evilSimon

evilSimon

thanks chaps, points noted.. the rear wall (behind the speakers) will be almost entirely covered with the fitted curtains, which'll be pretty thick and have big folds in even when closed (ie when closed they wont be flat/stretched across). the L and R walls are currently bare however & need some covering for the 1st reflections - and when I find something suitable...
    "u might want to try thicker purpose made acoustic material behind the rug"
    ... I've got loads of offcuts of leftover thick carpet underlay I can stick to the back! that should be quite effective.

evilSimon, Apr 10, 2004
Ask a Question