Funny picture from Time Computers (geeks only)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Aug 16, 2004.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Just came across this website and this picture can anybody spot the mistake?

[​IMG]

The man is touching the CPU core which is a very delicate area.

http://www.thecomputershop.co.uk/upgrades.php

It looks like he is using a bit of force too, have they never stopped to think about what ZIF stands for? Zero Insertion Force.

amazingtrade, Aug 16, 2004
  2. amazingtrade

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Well he isnt actually touching it ;)

Funny story though. Over the weekend I helped my mate sort the mess he had made of his computer. To cut a long story short, he upgraded a machine I built for him by putting a new CPU in (upgrade from AXP 1800 to a 2600) and he put the heatsink on the wrong way around, causing the heatsink to be seated at an angle, and therefore, not touching the chip.

Naturally it worked for a few months, albeit running very hot. Then he put in a new graphics card. I think he must have disturbed something, because the next thing we know, Windows has died and his hard drive suddenly picked up bad sectors. Temperature? 104 celcius!!!

Anyway, the result was a knackered hard drive and motherboard, but strangely enough the chip was fine - albeit a bit scorched around the edges. Funny thing was, when we tested the CPU in my PC, when it worked, he suggested I left it in mine :lol: yeah right! :rolleyes:

Anyway, he had tried to fix another computer and managed to crack the core on that CPU, so now he had a spare CPU to put in. Now, after he had watched me at work, the next time I went up to his house, he proclaimed that he had found a better way of spreading thermal compound on the CPU - and that was to spread it on the core with his finger :rolleyes: I've told him its not a good idea, but he wont listen (as always) :rolleyes:

How does the saying go again? A little knowledge in the wrong hands can be very dangerous :eek:

PBirkett, Aug 16, 2004
  3. amazingtrade

hehe yeah. I don't know as much about this as you do but I thought if you touched the core not only can you damage it physicay but you can get skin oil on it which means the thermal paste won't stick to it properly.

The other thing I have seen done once is people putting so much thermal paste on the the heatsink dosn't really have much effect so overheats.

Do you find them heatsinks hard to get on or can you do them really quickly once you get the knack? It can take me around 10 minutes to it! :D Its the worst part of building PCs for me, apart from DOA parts.

amazingtrade, Aug 16, 2004
  4. amazingtrade

julian2002 Muper Soderator

julian2002, Aug 16, 2004
  5. amazingtrade

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Used to find it hard, partly due to "fear" of breaking something, but there is a knack and I can do it very quickly now.

PBirkett, Aug 17, 2004
  6. amazingtrade

I did that once, I scratched the etching on the motherboard, but this on my PC ands this was two years ago, its still working fine now so the scratch couln't have been deep enough thankfully.

Why can't they make them so they screw in?

amazingtrade, Aug 17, 2004
  7. amazingtrade

Sid and Coke

When i built my (first) computer recently the things that stuck in my mind , and i was a little paranoid about getting right first time was
    a) Fitting the CDP correctly (AMD XP2500 Barton)
    b) applying the thermal pad correctly
    c) fitting the Heatsink correctly

All very easily accomplished if you bother to look at and understand the supplied instructions ( with colour pictures !!) . PBirkett, give your mate a slap.

Sid and Coke, Aug 17, 2004
  8. amazingtrade

The instructions are easier said than done though, they just tell you how do it, they don't explain exactly where to force and when. This how the damage is easily done.

amazingtrade, Aug 17, 2004
Ask a Question