Further adventures with AudioSynthesis ..

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ditton, Sep 25, 2004.

1. ditton

ditton happy old soul

On GaryG's recommendation, I sent my Dax Decade away to AS to have Black Gates fitted - his view, confirmed by David Heaton (of AS), was that this moves further from digital to 'organic' (a word neither of them used). I had heard a bit of that when I had earlier tried the vdh Second, so I knew something of the potential improvement. The Dax arrives back on Tuesday, so after some burning in, I look forward to tasting the difference.

I also sent in the (AS) modded Sony 711 transport, that I bought s/h for a song, for David to check over - not that I thought I was having problems, although I could hear that something was loose. Pleased to say he has given it clean bill of health and done a little tweaking. He has also fitted the Ccode and Ncode options, for not a lot of dosh. The Ccode will apparently reduce jitter, and the Ncode, which I naively had thought was in this bargain purchase, is an encoding that supposedly elimates jitter. So some more experimenting ahead.

I'll see what I can do to write a review of the experience in a few weeks time. Meanwhile, as something for the weekend, I have rescued the 1994 Yamaha CD670 from the 2nd system in the dining room, and its doing OK although also telling me how far I have travelled since I started on the upgrade path three/four years ago. I'm playing a set of CDs that Alanbeeb loaned me as part of my further education of classical music - several revelations, surprises included Four Last Songs by RStrauss sung by Elisabeth Schwarzkopf, Bach's St Matthew Passion and Mahler/Rattle and ....

I'm wondering whether I'll still be hankering after a clean poweramp to fit between Dax Decade and JM Lab Electra 905s. The AudioLab 8000S is doing OK but I'm sure that others may have some suggestions. Should I keep it pur and simple and seek out an older Class A?

btw, AS have some Dax2 and Dax Decade stock that has come their way due to sales of their Dax Discrete. Anyone interested could check out their website (http://www.audiosynthesis.co.uk) or give David a ring direct (0115 922 4138)

ditton, Sep 25, 2004
  2. ditton

julian2002 Muper Soderator

can heartily recommend the dax-2 from personal experience (i'm sure the decade is fantastic but i've not heard it). a very balanced sound that can groove and headbang when necessary but can also do the quiet introspective stuff too. at the price david charged me it was a bit of a bargain too. if you can get one with the npc filter option this is the one to go for.
    looking forward to hearing what you have to say about your upgrade ditton.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Sep 25, 2004
  3. ditton

Jackthebiscuit Allrise

Ditton,

There's really on one choice if you're using an all AS system, you should have had my Desire Decade!

JTB :)

Jackthebiscuit, Sep 25, 2004
  4. ditton

ditton happy old soul

glad you like the Dax2 Julian. I've not heard that but just to help that itch, I have heard that the Decade is a noticeable upgrade :JPS: That same person said as much about me getting the Black Gates, so I'm looking forward to the test later this week.

well, JakeTB, I see you got almost a grand for that. I could have given it a good home for half the price! I do understand its merits though. am still looking ...

ditton, Sep 25, 2004
  5. ditton

GaryG

errr... thanks for the mention Ditton, hopefully I'll not regret recommending the Black Gate upgrade. When you get the Decade back it need about a month of continuous use before the new caps settle in, best you don't listen to it for the first week it will sound awful I'm afraid.

Regards
    Gary

GaryG, Sep 27, 2004
  6. ditton

ditton happy old soul

It's OK Gary, Nic has said as much over on AVTalk. 300 hours he reckonned!!! I'll try to be patient ....

ditton, Sep 27, 2004
  7. ditton

ditton happy old soul

well, Dax Decade and Ncode modded transport arrived today. I've set it up and listened - and yes, I should not have done - though I wanted to try the switch to Ncode, which was noticeable. So, now to burn in those Black Gates. I'm using the older Yamaha 670 for this purpose as the modded transport has been stripped of all such mundane features as 'repeat'. I'm using the digital out from the Yammy to play repeat, feeding it Buena Vista Social Club, and letting that disappear silently into the amp (switched to another input).

Silly question for you Gary, or another, does it matter what attenuation or other Dax setting I use - I'm presuming not.

The no-no listening was on a favourite - Kind of Blue (Miles Davis). It was recognisable, and had drive and staging, but everyone was more uptight than cool. I guess Miles will chill out as the Dax BGs burn through the night with the steamy vibration from the BVSC - and the next night - and the next night - and the next night .......

the things we do for love ..

ditton, Sep 28, 2004
  8. ditton

GaryG

Ditton

If it was me I would 'run in' the unit with the digital volume set to full volume to ensure driving the analogue stages at peak levels.

Regards
    Gary

GaryG, Sep 30, 2004
  9. ditton

ditton happy old soul

Interesting. Nic said ignore the attenuation. So no harm in following full volume!?!

have now baptised with St Matthew Passion, and hedged my bets with Sufi. So will soon be letting Miles Davis have a turn again ...

In truth, I've had a listen and its turning out OK - sufficient to get be to HMV to buy some more CDs

ditton, Sep 30, 2004
Ask a Question