Gale question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by chrisB1, May 1, 2010.

1. chrisB1

chrisB1

Hi to you all - first post !

I have a system with 'vintage' Gale GA 401A speakers & Arcam Alpha amp. I am looking to upgrade the amp but have heard that these old Gales are a bit 'fussy' in that department ! Can someone suggest a short list of amps I could use ? Budget is up to a grand or thereabouts. Also looking to buy a correct pair of stands for these speakers if anyone has a pair for sale. Thanks.

Chris

chrisB1, May 1, 2010
  2. chrisB1

RobHolt Moderator

Hi Chris,

The Gales do present a low impedance load to the amplifier so something happy with <4 ohm loads is required. I would also go further and say that you need something capable of good sustained drive into such loads rather than just good peak drive ability.

For integrated amplifiers, try the Cambridge 840A which is excellent value at around £800. Part of the deal with this amplifier is a return option if you aren't satisfied with performance and that is invaluable when partnering with a difficult speaker like the Gale.

Closer to home you might also want to try NVA and Avondale as again, part of the deal is a home trial period.

I'm stressing the home trial aspect as Gales played loud really do cane the amplifier and they will run far hotter as a result.

For stands, the good old Heyrook HBS1 is difficult to better for this size of speaker. Many thousands were made so they appear often on ebay and in classifieds.

RobHolt, May 1, 2010
  3. chrisB1

chrisB1

Thanks Rob.

chrisB1, May 1, 2010
  4. chrisB1

Thomo60

Chris,
    Gales are one of my audio passions.I have three pairs of restored 401a.

The best thing you can use with Gales is a medium powered valve amp.Gales and valves are a stunning match.Indeed you have not heard their true potential unless you have heard them with valves.There is just some sort of electrical magic that happens between the two.But it does need to be the right valve amp.
    You can drive them with high current SS amps and they will sound good but in my experience they are are demanding of only the best high quality SS amps like Accuphase.Of course these are also way outside your budget.

A really good affordable integrated valve amplifier that works beautifully with Gales is the Ming Da EL34 A/B.This is a seriously good heavyweight amp[35kg].A friend prefers this to Musical Fidelity and Accuphase amps costing four times as much.You can buy these through Ornec or New York Sound online for around your budget.Don't be tempted by the cheaper Ming Da amps.They are good but the EL34 A/B is superb.

Also you might like to check out the Gale Google Group site.There is a wealth of information there.

Thomo60, May 4, 2010
  5. chrisB1

chrisB1

Thanks Thomo - had a look on the Ornec (US) site, but can't find the model you mention. There is a MC 34 A & B, but no EL34. Has it been superseded ?

Chris

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2010
    chrisB1, May 6, 2010
  6. chrisB1

Thomo60

Chris,
    Yes you are correct.Ornec no longer lists them but New York Sound still does-MEIXING MING DA EL 34 A/B.Do a Google search -other distributors may show up in the UK.

A cheaper alternative is the Yaqin MC 10 EL 34 which I have been told also works well with the Gales.Not the overall quality of the Ming da though

Thomo60, May 7, 2010
Ask a Question