Garrard 301

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by white-socks, Aug 25, 2009.

1. white-socks

white-socks

Just out of curiosity, has anyone compared a Garrard 301, or 401 to a good set up Roksan Xerxes?

If so, man I will love to hear your opinions over the two decks:D

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2009
    white-socks, Aug 25, 2009
  2. white-socks

sammyo

With the major proviso that I am pretty new to hi-fi, this is precisely what I have just been doing for the last few weeks. I heard an original model Xerxes (a mid to late-1990s model) in very good condition set up by a very reputable dealer through an excellent system. I thought it was terrific and particularly exciting in the mid-range. Very realistic and neutral sounding. But in the end I felt that the female vocals lacked the humanity and airiness that other turntables presented. This left me with a nagging doubt about the turntable and I feared I would never be happy with it, much as I enjoyed listening to it.

I have ended up with a 401. I am happy with it in every way. I suspect that if I heard it and the Xerxes side by side then the Xerxes would sound better in some ways but I'm not sure I can think of any.

In my opinion, my test records all sound at least as good on the 401 as on the Xerxes. The possible exception is Copland's Appelachian Spring which really did sound thrilling on the Xerxes. My test records were all middling in terms of recording quality and vinyl condition and include the Copland, a copy of Handel's Water Music and Emma Kirkby singing Purcell. I tested other records on everything I heard as well but those three were consistent to every test. I think if you search my posts you will see some of the comments I had on the Xerxes.

The Xerxes is a great TT and really kept me smiling time after time. But I couldn't get rid of my doubts. I left it for a week and went back to listen to it again. I left convinced that I was going to buy it but after sleeping on it a nagging doubt had crept back in to my thoughts. In particular, as I say, there were a couple of sections of one or two records that I knew could sound better. I'm sure other parts of the system had their effect as well but I listened to the Xerxes through much better equipment than what the Garrard is plugged in to.

That being said, this is the conclusion that worked for me. I really couldn't say that I think that the 401 is per se better than the Xerxes. But the 401 that I have is better for me than the Xerxes I was listening to previously.

Happy to discuss further though, as I say, I'm pretty new to all this and my advice should be taken heavily salted.

sammyo, Aug 25, 2009
  3. white-socks

white-socks

I had a nice read:) thank you.

Does your Garrard 401 have a big wooden plinth under it? and what tonearm are you using with it? I guess it's an SME?

I have an original Xerxes too and love it to bits, can't keep away from the thing. Mines sounded so good it made my father buy one too. Before the Xerxes my Dad had a ProJect RPM10, it was a nice deck but sounded a bit bland and boaring. My Xerxes had the musical, speed and dynamics we have both been craving for.
    So my father sold the project and got an Xerxes that has had upgrades done to it( both the deck and the arm). It sounds very similar to my own Xerxes, but his one is a bit more neutral to mines though.

I'll never sell my Xerxes. It has taken me 2 years to find a deck that matches to my liking.

4. white-socks

sammyo

My Garrard has a two-tier carbon/resin plinth, which you can see in my Beginner/Turntable Conusion Revisited thread.

I am using an SME 3009 Mk II Improved. Both TT and arm are in immaculate condition.

Before I found the Garrard, I had auditioned a Rega P3, Rega P5, Townshend Rock 7, Opus 3 Continuo and Michell Gyrodec as well as the Xerxes and the Xerxes was at the top of my list.

Why are you interested in the comparison?

sammyo, Aug 25, 2009
  5. white-socks

white-socks

Just out of cureiosity:) Apart from the Xerxes always getting nice talk, I see the Garrards are raved about too. For their good sound.

We have a nice old Bush SRP51 record player with a nice built in Garrard record player. It's not like our systems but it does have a nice sound. Be nice if someone can remove the Garrard record player from the Bush and turn it into a turntable:D Lots of potential hidden away....Ermmm well maybe:confused:

6. white-socks

sammyo

sammyo, Aug 25, 2009
  7. white-socks

sammyo

I'm quite envious actually. Would be great for a little holiday home or something. Of course, I would need the holiday home first.

sammyo, Aug 25, 2009
  8. white-socks

white-socks

9. white-socks

white-socks

Bush SRP51

Nice little player. I love it's Garrard turntable.

[​IMG]

10. white-socks

sammyo

Yes, I know what you mean. Much more modern looking and with a separate amp, is that right?

sammyo, Aug 25, 2009
  11. white-socks

white-socks

Yep, that is right.

Ask a Question