Get a Cyrus 8 or add a PSX-R?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tenson, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Hey guys!

I have a quick question here..

What would give a greater improvent in sound - Swapping my Cyrus 3 amp for a Cyrus 8?

or

Adding a PSX-R to my current Cyrus 3?

Thanx a lot!

Tenson, Nov 28, 2003
  2. Tenson

julian2002 Muper Soderator

probably getting a new amp would be the better course of action. there are parts inside most amps that have a definite shelf life (potentiometers, capacitors etc.). this means that if the amp is over about 8 years old and cannot be serviced it;s probably best to can it and get something more up to date. (how old is the 3?)

i've not heard the 8 but there are a lot of new integrated amps in the 8's price range so i'd have a listen arround before stumping up the cash. take your 3 along to compare when auditioning.

cheers

julian

julian2002, Nov 28, 2003
  3. Tenson

Tenson Moderator

Well my Cyrus 3 is 7years old (I think). It sounds as good if not better than the day I got it though!

Cyrus amps use a digital volume controll so there is not pot to ware out.

I heard someone say they changed from a 3 to a 5 and could tell very little differance. (I wonder why they changed then?!) So I was just wondering if there was a big differance for the 8.

I auditiond my speakers with a Cyrus 8 and it certanly sounded good, not as warm as my 3 but more detaild and overall just beter. However I have not heard the 3 with PSX-R.

Tenson, Nov 28, 2003
  4. Tenson

Sgt Rock

Hi Tenson,

I'd post that question over here if I was you.

Sgt Rock, Nov 28, 2003
  5. Tenson

Lt Cdr Data om

I would sure like a comparison between the 7 and the 8, and like to know what the differences are inside, too...

Lt Cdr Data, Nov 28, 2003
  6. Tenson

Jeremy

You would definitely get a huge improvement from getting a 8 rather then a PSX-R. However give it a listen as the character of Cyrus has completely changed since the 3 and you may not find the sound to your liking. Other people have not liked the sound. I on the other hand have loved the way Cyrus have gone over the last few model updates, got rid of some of that harsh brightness/edgyness which made it difficult to listen to at high volumes, but still retaining that great exciting quality that you get with Cyrus.

As for differences inside it now contains absalutely no Mission branded parts inside the machine :)

Jeremy, Nov 28, 2003
  7. Tenson

Hodgesaargh

Remember to try other amps like the Roksan Candy, Rotel, etc.

Hodgesaargh, Nov 29, 2003
Ask a Question