Get em out for the lads!!!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by MO!, Nov 5, 2003.

?

On or off?

1. On for sound reasons

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  2. Off for sound reasons

12 vote(s)
    52.2%
  3. On for visual reasons

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  4. Off for visual reasons

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Do you have your drivers out, or covered up?

Grilles on or off?

I'm an "off"

MO

(is this the MOst pointless poll ever?)

MO!, Nov 5, 2003
  2. MO!

michaelab desafinado

I think we had a poll like this either on GrooveHandle or on HFC. Anyway, I have my grilles on becuase we have two cats in the house and I found out from previous experience that cats claws and drivers don't mix - gave a whole new meaning to the term "ribbon speaker" :D

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 5, 2003
  3. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

you have TWO of them white fur balls!!!! :eek:

MO!, Nov 5, 2003
  4. MO!

Rory satisfied

i'd vote 'yes', but for pratical reasons- i don't want to be dusting very delicate metal dome tweeters and therefore have the grilles on

Rory, Nov 5, 2003
  5. MO!

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I have them off because I find it sounds slightly more lively with them off. I also think they look nicer too, they look to plain with the grills on.

We have two cats too, they don't seem to cause any problems to the HIFIs, they are not allowed in my room but the speakers down stairs have no grils on either but then I they are £50 JPW 310i's not expensive Dynaudios.

amazingtrade, Nov 5, 2003
  6. MO!

dunkyboy

Which is why they don't touch 'em - cats are too discerning to bother with a cheap £50 jobbie! ;)

Dunc

dunkyboy, Nov 6, 2003
  7. MO!

julian2002 Muper Soderator

little tiny grills on the nautilus tweeters on to attenuate the treble a little and the other grills off cos yellow kevlar is cool.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Nov 6, 2003
  8. MO!

michaelab desafinado

No - the other one is a Burmese :)

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 6, 2003
  9. MO!

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Furballs are cool :) You're so right about their discerning taste though - my old housemate's cat decided to mark its territory in my old Yamaha DSP-E492 (didn't even realise - until the damn thing kept erroring with "Protection" on the display - a write off. Why couldn't she have pissed in that useless Sony DVD player I had instead!?!?!! Oh hang on - she did - I thought it was spilt Ribena (as I had a blocked up nose) - and while cleaning up the DVD top, I hadn't noticed a load INSIDE the amp...

Right - back on topic - my main hifi/av speakers all have the grilles on - the main speakers in particular due to slightly gnarled soft dome tweeters - plus people would laugh at the piddly main drivers.

The ones in the bedroom are also on, but I'm going to remove the mesh over the metal domes 'cos I'm sure it's harshening up the sound - particularly on vinyl....

domfjbrown, Nov 6, 2003
  10. MO!

HenryT

Well, my preference is for speakers which either don't have grill covers at all (e.g. Epos), or which have been designed to be used without grills period, because IME there is no such thing as an acoustically transparent cloth material despite what some manufacturers claim about their covers.

ATC actually design the grill covers to be an acoustic part of most of their speakers; this is true for the models destined for the domestic market I'd guess rather than the ones which are going to be in-wall sofit mounted in studios. This I certainly found to be the case when I had the 50's. The image/stage was very diffuse and ill-defined without the grill, but put them back on and things would "snap back into focus" and become more coherent. True, removing the grills would bring about a more explicit quality to the treble, and also more punch and inner detail to bass textures. For me though, sitting quite close to the 50's in a medium sized room I found the top end to be a bit fatiguing at times - this would have been a different matter I'm sure in a bigger room sat at further distances.

HenryT, Nov 6, 2003
Ask a Question