Getting young people into decent music reproduction

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Purite Audio, May 19, 2010.

1. Purite Audio

danworth81 english through n through

I completely agree and I am sure Julian Richer is a very astute and clever man!

Richer Sounds offer Ipod type systems, all in one say Teac and Arcam systems and a range of home cinema gear too.

Now this gets the younger punters into the store and whilst they are there and the guys let them listen to some demo systems and some more expensive gear, they start to realise what sound they can actually get for a few more £'s compared to what they originally went in for.

The migration into Hifi begins! and the same people stick to RS because they are then comfortable with the service and dont feel intimidated!

Have u ever noticed how many guys work in a RS store, my store is tiny and I do mean small and there are 6 guys on each day working in there the best part of the week!

danworth81, May 22, 2010
  2. Purite Audio

nando nando

when i was working for a lot of different shops, " growing up loving music" i was thilled and somewhat adicted to hi-fi having had many a pleasure playing with my dad's PYE BLACK BOX, i have always in retail made sure that i had the same enthusiasm to the young kids as i had my self, after all those youngsters are the owners of tomorrow, i once had a one hour interview on LBC radio " about this, and invited ken kessler and j from richer sounds, host was simon bates, very interesting it was as i also had my shop opposite them,"circa 1995" got a lot of young buyers as well as retired ones, what fun,
    nando.

nando, May 22, 2010
  3. Purite Audio

Labarum

I have one upstairs

[​IMG]

And this in the dining room

[​IMG]

Most youngsters have seen and heard nothing like them

Labarum, May 22, 2010
  4. Purite Audio

nando nando

SUPERVE, WOW, BRINGS BACK MY YOUTHHHHHHHHH,
    nando.

nando, May 22, 2010
  5. Purite Audio

drummerjohn

Tosh.

Not much has changed. You get good and bad. I can pick some better quality recorded\mastered mainstream music now than from the 80s.

Mainstream music from 80's & even 90's was generally less bass driven.

If you can bring yourself to listen to Lady Gaga - listen to Just Dance. Probably one of the best recorded pop you will ever hear.

drummerjohn, May 27, 2010
  6. Purite Audio

drummerjohn

Some of you may find it hard to believ but it's more about music now than it's ever been. Kids have a massive choice of music now and aren't restricted to the poxy Top20\40 of my day.

Portable music is far better quality than it used to be with a cassette based Walkman affair.

I love my hifi but then I envy the kids who listen to music based on the music and not worrying about the quality of the reproduction.

7. Purite Audio

drummerjohn

So true... I hate it when magazines and the like go on about "smooth silky". Stand next to my drum kit when I hit my splash or crash. Nothing dainty or smooth about that.

8. Purite Audio

Tenson Moderator

Just something different I think. Musicians seem to listen to the notes and timing etc... i.e. the score. I think audiophiles listen to the sound in a more general way.

You can play me almost anything, if its well recorded I tend to like it!

Tenson, May 27, 2010
  9. Purite Audio

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

there's no reason why impoverished students with music stored on their laptop couldnt plug it into a Cyrus II and a pair of missions all from Ebay, and probably about £70 for the lot..

That's the message, it just needs to get out there...

I've never found anyone who didn't think that better speakers sound.. better !

Simon - you're a good 10 years younger than me, are your mates interested in hifi at all, are they using anything better than computer speakers?

bottleneck, May 27, 2010
  10. Purite Audio

cooky1257

They know all about good sound quality, many weekends on the receiving ends of these will make you question the piddly boxes from hifi shops for sure.
    Personally the no nonsense Richer sounds approach will save hifi not the snakeoil crap the hobby has degenerated into. IMHO of course[​IMG]

cooky1257, May 27, 2010
  11. Purite Audio

nando nando

how can we bring young people including woman to listen to music on a reasonable priced system that they will apriate the sound they are after and will then enjoy to go slowly to higher grounds ? any ideas!
    nando.

nando, May 31, 2010
  12. Purite Audio

Jimbo

I don't think you can. It really is up to the individual's taste in music and quality. My wife is quite happy listening to a radio that perhaps sometimes is not tuned in properly. The other thing is i like to relax and just get immersed in the music while the young ones would rather be on the go with their ipods. I suppose you could say it's an old mans way of listening to music and they are just moving with the times. They are missing out on music with atmosphere and quality though, which you can't get imo with these devices.

Jim.

Jimbo, May 31, 2010
  13. Purite Audio

nando nando

i know that it maybe a sing of the times, my son also my daughter both have a nice hi-fi system witch i provide to them , since they were young have enjoyed quality music and got involved in hi-fi for pleasure, they do not use ipod's only my pocket to buy their music,
    nando.

nando, May 31, 2010
  14. Purite Audio

Jimbo

I suppose money comes into it as well as some people dont have the finances for top quality gear.

Jim

Jimbo, May 31, 2010
  15. Purite Audio

nando nando

easy comes easy goes, but their enjoyment is bliss, not every that has a big price tag means it is better,

nando, May 31, 2010
  16. Purite Audio

AlfonsVH

I'm 22 myself, and I've noticed sheer disinterest among most of my friends.

Apart from 1 or 2 friends, most of them don't care much for good music anyway, let alone accurate reproduction of the sound. They just want to dance or to get in a certain mood by listening to bad artists through even worse audio systems.
    Heck, most of them listen to their alarm clock radios all day long.

The only people that are interested (and rather impressed) by my system seem to be musicians themselves...

The rest of them consider me crazy when I tell them I spent 110 EUR on IEMs.

AlfonsVH, May 31, 2010
  17. Purite Audio

It just doesnt need to cost a lot - I think that's a good message for people.

I've just bought some Mission 751's for £40! on ebay. They were about £400 new I think. You could easy get a Pioneer 400 for about £50, and then use... say... an old DVD player as a source. Job done !

Yesterday's £1,000 system for the price of a family meal at a restaurant.

bottleneck, May 31, 2010
  18. Purite Audio

AlfonsVH

Hear hear!

I just started out building a decent audio system. Bought a pair of B&W DM-601 S2 speakers for 70 EUR and an Arcam Delta 90.2 amp for 130 EUR; still looking for a cheap & decent DAC and I'm good to go!

But, like I said before, I think there's just not enough interest for many fellow-youngsters. They happily pay 300 EUR for an iPod or subwoofer-based computer speaker set, but actually listening to the music and how (bad) it sounds is too much to ask.

AlfonsVH, May 31, 2010
  19. Purite Audio

RobHolt Moderator

751s are excellent and £40 is a steal!
    Well done.

RobHolt, May 31, 2010
  20. Purite Audio

yeah am totally chuffed :)

got to drive for over an hour to pick them up, but worth it.

The big speakers will go into storage in about a month/2, when the house goes on the market. This will be the stand-in !

bottleneck, May 31, 2010
Ask a Question