Glasse CD lathe Sound mprover - anyone tried this?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by larkrise, Sep 22, 2006.

1. larkrise

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

The fact the a bunch of like minded individuals got togatehr and agreed on a difference is not relative to this conversation.

It is proven beyond doubt that spinning a positive will reep a positive and most people do not want to separate from the group by disagreeing.

Again, just because you have heard dire straights a 1000 times (not something to admit BTW) means nothing what so ever.

Trimming the edge of rams modules to make your music sound better? Are you honestly saying that? Read what you have said.

Sadly its a man thing. But men like to be one step beyond the next man, this can be donw in a number of ways. Either the most expensive, or the most cheap leading to the same result. Or indeed the most wacky and just plain stupid.

No I am not going to take the £100 ram module out of my £1500 mac and trim the edge of to see if I can hear a difference. Because if I did all that I would make damn well sure I heard a difference, other wise I would soon realise I had just done a prattish thing.

garyi, Sep 24, 2006
  2. larkrise

And the final proof always is this, that particular machine which does nothing special, all it does is trim the edge of a CD, well that can be bettered by an even better machine which does the same thing only makes your CDs sound even better.

Sigh. Think it over.

garyi, Sep 24, 2006
  3. larkrise

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

Is this what they call philosophy? It's a device that improves the sound. . . er that's it?

larkrise, Sep 24, 2006
  4. larkrise

narabdela

Please tell me that posts #27 and #29 were piss-takes. Please, someone? Anyone?

narabdela, Sep 24, 2006
  5. larkrise

pixies a menace to society

all comes down to one question imo - not one that i can answer though - when the digital data stream being read off the cd is interupted/corrupted due to mis-tracking, poor focus of the laser beam, signal reflection, dispersion due to damage of the surface, the error correction system attempts to fill in the missing data using cross-interleaved code. does this audibly lower the sound quality? if it does then anything that stabilizes the spinning disc or lowers or increases uniformity of the refractive index of the 'plastic' surface or reduces its reflective index WILL improve sound quality.

pixies, Sep 24, 2006
  6. larkrise

pixies a menace to society

the very nature of mass production means that manufacturing tolerances, ie thickness of the disc and coatings are not as precise as they could be. i'm sure they could physically make a better cd but at a cost to the consumer and lets face it, the music industry is money orientated.

pixies, Sep 24, 2006
  7. larkrise

Garmt

The Glass unit reduces stray light within the disc. This makes a difference, just as the green pen and Auric Illuminator makes a difference.

Again, the CD is a far from perfect medium, almost behaving like an LP in its tweakability. I am not saying that every tweak makes a difference, only the one that have proven me to do so.

Telling someone that something does not work, when the person has not even tried it, is silly.

Garmt, Sep 24, 2006
  8. larkrise

PeteH Natural Blue

Have you honestly tried that? Thought not. Please don't comment on things YOU HAVE NOT HEARD.

The main reason why people don't consider PC music servers to be serious hifi components is that the vitally important considerations of setup and tweaking are entirely overlooked IMHO. I've recently been trying different power supplies in my PC and have heard extremely good results on upgrading to a 850 W supply. Naim proved that using supposedly "overspecified" power supplies brings great benefits for CD players - exactly the same thing holds for PCs.

Mass-loading the case of your PC also helps reduce the detrimental effects of unwanted vibrations. I've taped thick granite slabs to the inside of mine and used a generous helping of lead shot in the bottom - it now weighs about 35 kg all in all and the improvement in image stability and bass extension really is not subtle.

This all really is very basic stuff, but it just doesn't seem to occur to a lot of people to set up their PC with the same care and attention they use for their hifis. The sound quality you can get out of a properly setup PC might surprise you - and most of the tweaks also reap benefits in display sharpness.

PeteH, Sep 24, 2006
  9. larkrise

Pete, dog shit wiped on the cone of a speaker improves sound. But it needs to be terrier shit.

Makes a big difference, try it.

I would agree that a decent power supply for a computer, or faster harddrive, or even More ram would be good. Obviously a shit hot sound card would be fantastic, these are not just tweaks but obvious.

When you move into trimming excess off ram module then sorry mate, bullshit and no messing.

Try my dog shit thing, after all according to you it must be true until tried.

garyi, Sep 24, 2006
  10. larkrise

narabdela

Phew, thanks for that, I was beginning to think you were serious.

:) :)

narabdela, Sep 24, 2006
  11. larkrise

I hadn't heard anyone else trying that but terrier shit isn't as good as old english sheepdog produce - trust me I've tried it and it works. Good to see posts from folk who have actually TRIED and HEARD these tweaks eh?

larkrise, Sep 24, 2006
  12. larkrise

Effem Cable manufacturer

I have to listen to something consistent during my work which involves deeply concentrated listening so I'm being conservative when I say 1,000 times hearing the same track. At least that way I know if there has been an increase or degredation in sound quality.

It's a MAN thing? Goodness me, I couldn't be arsed to get all competitive over my hobby no matter how much willy wavin' is going on around me.

Effem, Sep 24, 2006
  13. larkrise

eisenach

14. larkrise

midlifecrisis Firm member

midlifecrisis, Sep 24, 2006
  15. larkrise

Effem, you just done it mate.

garyi, Sep 24, 2006
  16. larkrise

Taken from one of Esinachs links:

'leaving the trimmed disc perfectly symmetrical and balanced so that the laser more easily tracks the disc without having to move back and forth constantly. In addition, the outer edge is beveled at 45 degrees. That angle, together with the blackening of the edge, significantly reduces laser scatter--random reflections from the laser that can negatively affect the precision of the laser reading the CD.'

Thats bullshit.

Trimming the outer edge will have no effect on if the lens has to move backward and forward.
    If the manufacturing process buggered up the centre or the tracks in relation to centre and edge, this product will have no effect.
    If manufacturing buggered up where the centre hole went, this product will have no effect.
    This leaves you with at least 4 possibilities. Outer edge screwed, centre screwed, tracks in relation screwed or a combination of the above.

That 300 quid sharp blade and motor will only fix one problem (assuming it is a problem). Any money bets this cannot be measured, just more snake oil for your bag.

Enjoy, but at least have the decency to admit your a chump ;)

garyi, Sep 24, 2006
  17. larkrise

If it makes you happy - I'm a chump - but a chump with ears that can tell a difference in audio products.

Now you have the deceny to admit you've never actually heard a lathed disc, therefore another kind of chump with regards to expressing opinions entirely hypothetically;)

larkrise, Sep 24, 2006
  18. larkrise

aquapiranha

Until I see some proper evidence of any improvement brought by this machine, I am with garyi - and I don't mean the opinion of a few easily swayed supporters. There are too many silly claims for questionable devices / cables etc around at the moment, and I for one am becoming more and more embarassed to be associated with such "guru's and their claims.."

aquapiranha, Sep 24, 2006
  19. larkrise

Larkrise, for this to be even slightly scientific, please tell me what has happened to change the sound for the better when you trim a CD?

If you can produce nothing then you can just as easily tell me god exists, and I won't believe that either.

sadly this hobby is far to full of crap, and the justification for this crap is to berate those that says its crap by exclaiming 'you have not heard it how would you know!'

I refer you too, shamook stones and them little plastic circular stickers which 'dramatically improve soundstage.'

If you are going to believe one snake oil, may as well believe them all. I for one will not be bullied with the 'you have not tried' line. I have just offered you some good reasons why this product could at the very most only be any good for very specific problem CDs (If indeed it could be proven any sound degradation had occurred)

Now you prove what this device is doing to IMPROVE the sound.

Whlist there tell me about shmook stones and them little dots. Oh an whilst we are here I am mighty impressed with them really expensive mushrooms that lift your speaker cable off the floor, hilarious!

garyi, Sep 24, 2006
  20. larkrise

eisenach

Some selective reading there, I think.

I agree, though, it all sounds stupid - until you hear it. Ask Tony aka Wadiameister. he doesn't sell it, but he uses it to very good effect. The ears have it, then.

eisenach, Sep 24, 2006
Ask a Question