Glasse CD lathe Sound mprover - anyone tried this?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by larkrise, Sep 22, 2006.

1. larkrise

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

I like Tony, however I would not assume just because he has one that this is some kind of justification. He has all sorts of stuff, including I believe a 'cable burn in device.'

garyi, Sep 24, 2006
  2. larkrise

titian

Well if the difference is obvious then it should be possible to "find it out" with some tests.
    But why bother if you are so sure about the difference?
    If someone is not convinced about the unit without listening to it, why bother? Hopefully that won't spoil your enjoyment, even if you're considered as a chump.

titian, Sep 24, 2006
  3. larkrise

penance Arrogant Cock

There is only one chump in this thread.

penance, Sep 24, 2006
  4. larkrise

titian

it all depends from which point of view. ;)

titian, Sep 24, 2006
  5. larkrise

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Penance my chump comment was not directed at anyone so far as I can ascertain no one has actually bought the thing.

If you are calling me a chump, fair enough but I still have 300 quid in my pocket and a life more interesting than trimming my CDs.

garyi, Sep 24, 2006
  6. larkrise

penance Arrogant Cock

I think you know where i stand ;)

Garyi, you must be very proud of that 300 quid:)

penance, Sep 24, 2006
  7. larkrise

titian

As I wrote, I'm going to order that thing if I don't have to go through dealers and have to pay much more than it costs in Germany. ;)

titian, Sep 24, 2006
  8. larkrise

titian

in England? :D

titian, Sep 24, 2006
  9. larkrise

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

I thought I had already posted what the audible differences were - however, once again - the sound was simply better - I like a clear sound stage, air around the instruments - definable placement the music really sounded clearer and more involving - the usual stuff, yet another veil lifted. This was serious 3D experience (it wasn't subtle) and returning to the unlathed example made me very dis-satisfied) - so I thought how about all those CDs I have that I love that are unlathed.

I dont care if the improvement can't be measured and quantified, it doesn't really matter. Also believe me - I wont spend a penny if I don't think it would be worth it. Anyway - hey what fun - I never thought my simple question - anyone heard this? - would have produced such a host of responses and it's been amusing to follow the various arguments!!!

larkrise, Sep 24, 2006
  10. larkrise

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

Oh and btw - my life is very interesting (if you only knew the half of it, but as I work in the Media I prefer to keep the details to myself). . . . but I will take time to trim a CD if it makes an hour listening experience significantly more involving and enjoyable - that's because I love music and my friend who owns one of these and swears by it tells me it takes a minute - er a bitlike cleaning a record before playing it dontcha think???

larkrise, Sep 24, 2006
  11. larkrise

aquapiranha

Not really, no. When a record is cleaned the difference is clearly visible (albeit with a microscope) and is measureable also, can you say the same about this method? also, cleaning a record acts directly on the source of the signal ie, the record groove itself, where the audio info is stored. Correct me if I am wrong, but this CD trimming device, it acts ONLY on the edge of the CD? where there is NO data? and also, can you provide me some indipendently gathered proof of any effect? I do not mean marketing blurb or hearsay.

Thanks

aquapiranha, Sep 24, 2006
  12. larkrise

Garmt

Like I said earlier, trimming the edge to a certain angle, will prevent any stray light in the disc to scatter back from the edge of the disc and back, because of the critical angle of the beveled edge.

Is it measureable? Who cares? You also cannot measure the effects of the Furutech RD-2, but it works!

Garmt, Sep 24, 2006
  13. larkrise

aquapiranha

I retract my statement, I was also not aware the almost immeasurably small amounts of magnetic charge found on the average CD was able to "bend and distort" the light emitted from the laser, just like a blackhole....

PELEEEZE....

aquapiranha, Sep 24, 2006
  14. larkrise

Garmt

Its no use being like that, just try it and find out... It sometimes really makes a BIG difference.

Most people here who are sceptical have not even tried one of these tweaks. So why bother to react at all?

Garmt, Sep 25, 2006
  15. larkrise

eric_audio

Garmt, as you tell both the Gläss and the Furutech RD-2 do work. Can you describe the differences (not differences in the way these work, that's clear, but differences in improvement)?

eric_audio, Sep 25, 2006
  16. larkrise

titian

This is certainly a good point: how "honest" a person can be with himself. It is also very strange to me that everyone who reports about their DIY stuff, write about great results (soundwise).
    These behavior happens also when listening to equipments using technologies which one sympathise with or made by companies one likes. I could go even further talking about those who hear according to the technical specs....
    I'm sure though that there are also people who try not to fool themselves.

titian, Sep 25, 2006
  17. larkrise

aquapiranha

Fair comment, I just think there are too many companies at the moment inventing cures for problems nobody knew existed, such as jars full of stones and "cable trees" without providing any proven statistical data to back up their (sometimes wild) claims...

That Lavardin of yours looks like a tasty bit of kit!

aquapiranha, Sep 25, 2006
  18. larkrise

Garmt

Yes, that is true. Any person should find merit in these products themselves. Or not... :)

Thanks. It is... :)

Garmt, Sep 25, 2006
  19. larkrise

PeteH Natural Blue

And with CDs, though the way cryoing interacts with lathing can sometimes be unpredictable. From my experiments the best order to treat a CD is as follows: demagnetise it, then have it cryogenically treated, then lathe it (demagnetising and cryoing seems to help accuracy of the lathing). All you've got to do then is use your CD treatment fluid of choice, then demagnetise it again (magnetism builds up during the treatment routine) and you're ready to go.

PeteH, Sep 25, 2006
  20. larkrise

Effem Cable manufacturer

The bit that I find hard to swallow is the cynics that appear on these threads that say it CANNOT sound any different because they know otherwise.

This is from the same people that won't go to shows, never ever accept an invite to a bakeoff and won't pop into their local dealers and hear some differences for themselves. The biggest sin of all is that a lot of these vendors of so-called snake oil products actually offer a full refund so you could also have a free home trial without having to get off your duff and make an effort.

The logic is perfectly simple here; if you are sceptical then keep yer hands in yer pockets and don't buy it. When it's your money being spent and you get no worthwhile results for you then come on here squealing about it :D

Effem, Sep 25, 2006
Ask a Question