Goertz / Electrofluidics Monolith 20/20 cables

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mike Purday, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Mike Purday

Mike Purday

I have recently bought a pair of Living Voice Avatar OBXR speakers. I know that Living Voice recommend Electrofluidics Monolith 20/20 cable but I have been told that this is rebadged Goertz cable. Can anyone tell me firstly, if this is true, secondly if they have any experience of this cable and thirdly which of the Goertz cables the Monolith actually is?

Thanks

Mike

Mike Purday, Feb 3, 2004
  2. Mike Purday

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Sure is mike, along with Townshends Mk II isolda :)

wadia-miester, Feb 3, 2004
  3. Mike Purday

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Mike,

The Monolith cable is the same as Goertz. This is a low inductance design. A number of people agree that the ideal cable should have low resistance & low inductance to cut down high end roll off & phase shifts. The conductors on these cables are very close together. The downside of this is high capacitance. This is not a problem with some amps but can be with others.

Amps like the Naim which don't have zobel networks can go unstable with high capacitance cable. The Naim cable has high inductance & low capacitance & this helps to keep the amp stable. A way round this is to apply a network so that the amp will have a friendly load. This what the Townshend Isolda has. You can get this for the Goertz as well.

The Townshend cable is again the same as Goertz but has be cyrogencally treated. This is rated to improve sound quality. Cyrogenically treating metals offer a change in the metal structure of the material. It has been used to improve the strength & hard wearing ability of metals used for cutting, maching & in motor engine parts.

Goertz used to be imported by Townshend, then they were handled by a company based in Belfast. They are made by a company called Alpha core in the US. Goertz was name after the Danish design of the cables.

I use Goertz cable & have found it very good. I found the bass response & dynamics improve. I use a Border Patrol valve amp. The Goertz seems to work well with valve amps. I also have a pair Living Voice Avatars ObX loudspeakers. I have also tried the Townshend Isolda cable & can recommend that as well. Well worth a try in your system.

I think the Monoliths are the same as the Goertz M2 cable.

More details are found here.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Feb 3, 2004
  4. Mike Purday

Lt Cdr Data om

You can get the same stuff from audiolinks for about a fiver a meter...oh but it cannot be as good for that price!!

Saves you getting robbed soft from the profiteers:)

audiolinks, scunthorpe, lincolnshire, email

[email protected]

phone 01724 870432

how do the obxs compare to the avatars Mike?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2004
    Lt Cdr Data, Feb 3, 2004
  5. Mike Purday

Mike Purday

Hi Data

Thanks for the link, do they not have a website? The OBXR's are just in a different league from the standard Avatars in my opinion. The Avatars are a good speaker but the OBXR's are really as good as anything I have ever heard. I have been told that the vast majority of people who go in to listen to the Avatars and also listen to the OBX end up paying the extra £1300 and buying the OBX and I can believe that it is true.

Regards

Mike

Mike Purday, Feb 4, 2004
  6. Mike Purday

SCIDB Moderator

Hi

With regards to making a Goertz copy. The stuff that Audiolinks sells is not £5 a meter. It sells for £4.70 per 1/2 metre. You will need too double that to get a cable that has the two connectors per channel. (ie +ve & - ve). For example if you want a 5 metre pair, you need to order 20 metres. That would cost £188.

You would have to stick the two lengths of cable together to create one side (two conductors) of speaker cable. It's a bit of hassle but cheaper than buying new.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Feb 6, 2004
  7. Mike Purday

Lt Cdr Data om

I stand corrected:)

Lt Cdr Data, Feb 6, 2004
  8. Mike Purday

tones compulsive cantater

Dean, the whole business is still a bit controversial in metallurgical circles. That it improves the hardness and wear characteristics of tool steels is undisputed, as is the mechanism - a conversion of austenite to martensite, if I recall correctly. Whether it actually changes the metal structure (the actual atomic crystal lattice), especially in non-ferrous, non-carbon materials, such as copper, is still disputed. Therefore, I think its effect on sound quality is still, as they say in Scots law, not proven. I could of course make statements on the nature of its chemical equivalence to certain oleaginous fluids of reptilian origin, but it would only upset big Tone and I've promised to be good elsewhere.

tones, Feb 6, 2004
  9. Mike Purday

penance Arrogant Cock

tones
    surely if it hasnt been proven, then it also hasnt been dis-proven;)

Science cant answer all

penance, Feb 6, 2004
  10. Mike Purday

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Tones, we have both cables (The flat MKII, cryo'd and un cryo'd), There is an audiable difference, amd more than slight too, but It would be unfair of me to accuse you of being another other than Tones elder statesman & general snake oil discharge pointer outer, and that sir, is something that we wish to actively encourage at all times, for it gives us a driving force that we constantly strive to to climb that Tones mountain of total disbelief, you sir are the epitamy of turth, justice and the total aversion to the snake oil way, in which sir, we aspire to produce, nah circumvent the mass minions of cold blooded creature secreations, you sir are our Mission statement, and bloody fine one to sir :slayer:
    I feel Tones has a first rate back up team too :)

the main players in ASODS

Anti
    Snake
    Oil
    Deployment
    Squad

Captain........DBT....................Not a clue
    Commander.......second front (DBT)....................Woofie
    Sargent Major...............(technical)............Stebbo.

Special overseas operations
    ====================

Andy T Dat19...................State-side master of blind test terror.

Eurpean contingant............Lawrie.............blue curtains (7th dan)

A formidable force, but we're up to challange, taking on dogged & cycinal face of bland aural injustice, yes Audio rescue is GO!!!!

wadia-miester, Feb 6, 2004
  11. Mike Purday

No, it can't, but it can explain a lot and its explanatory power is far from exhausted. Naturally it cannot explain belief systems such as religion and hi-fi, because they basically lie outside its remit - supernatural phenomena cannot by definition be explained naturally - and perhaps it shouldn't try. However, if the effects observed are physical, then it is reasonable to expect a physical explanation. If none is forthcoming, it means either that there is at work a physical phenomenon that has not yet been explained, or that the observed phenomenon does not exist in objective reality, only in the observer's head.

As you might have guessed, I am an adherent of the second explanation. This is borne out by the myriad different opinions over equipment. Look at the DeMagic thread so far - if anything says "subjectivity", this does. (See also my thread on "New Scientist" in the Chat section). As I have also said before, I have no problem with this - if people hear a difference, for whatever reason, they hear a difference. They just shouldn't promote this to a law of the universe, of the "Mana/Wadia/LP12/Marantz/whatever is miraculously wonderful/bloody awful" variety.

I believe I have a natural advantage over most of the folk on the forum - I am the reverse of Fox Mulder, in that I don't want to believe. This means that observed subtle differences are rejected as possible figments of my imagination, and that any improvement has to hit me over the head. I have heard such improvements only on equipment changes - the LP12 over the Thorens TD160, the Keilidhs over the LS3/5As. Cables, interconnects, several varieties of equipment supports, power leads and now the DeMagic have all been auditioned and rejected (you have to admit, I do get the experimental evidence too). So, in my experience, in the contest between science and hi-fi, science has triumphed every single time, and I expect it to go on doing so.

In the religion that is hi-fi, I would be Thomas! (Curiously my father's name and the name of the son we never had). And as you'll remember from the Bible story, Thomas would not believe until he had seen the risen Christ with his own eyes (John 20:25). And when he did, he believed. I would too, so perhaps one day, big Tone will echo the words of Jesus to the former Tones the Unbeliever "Because you have heard, you have believed; blessed are those who have not heard and yet have believed". But I wouldn't hold my breath, if I were you...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2004
    tones, Feb 7, 2004
  12. Mike Purday

Very good, Tone, had a good chuckle at that! However, you have nothing to fear from us. There will always be true believers who desperately want a copy of Fox Mulder's celebrated wall poster, and they will not be persuaded by something as prosaic as boring old gits quoting scientific principles! Omiga Audia is safe (and jolly good luck and much success to it, I say).

tones, Feb 7, 2004
  13. Mike Purday

penance Arrogant Cock

can i have Scully??

penance, Feb 7, 2004
  14. Mike Purday

NO!!!! I saw her first.

P.S. Penance, I'll modify that - you can have the English-speaking Scully! I originally saw "Die X-Akte" in the German dubbed version (the Germans dub everything), and I was used to hearing Scully speaking with a rich, mellifluous, husky voice. Then TSR (the French language Swiss national channel) put on "Aux frontières du réel" (trust the French to change the title!) in Zweikanal version (original language on one channel, dubbed French on the other), and I got to hear Gillian Anderson for the first time. I was SOOOOOO disappointed at this high, squeaky US college girl accent! So, I get to keep the Geman Scully. Deal?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2004
    tones, Feb 7, 2004
  15. Mike Purday

penance Arrogant Cock

no fair
    :mad:

penance, Feb 7, 2004
Ask a Question