Goggle Box question, sorry!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by leonard smalls, Aug 11, 2004.

1. leonard smalls

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

Now that I've narrowed my pre-amp choice down to the Nagra, Spectral, Plinius and Pass Labs offerings (plus an outside chance for the Burmester) I've decided that I need to introduce an RF source to the music room to make sure that there's at least some interferance..
    So I'd thought to get a DVD player (or recorder), if there's one with tuner even better, plus a tv projector...
    Now the last time I played with projectors they were about the size of a portable TV, made by Barco or Sony and cost £5k plus.
    Question is, which DVD and projector is/are the best value? I'm not after the very best - after all it'll only have DVD piccys or at best analogue broadcast Tv (and don't start saying how good dvd is - I was a telecine operator for a while!), but the projector will have to be ceiling mounted.
    Also, what about screens? It only needs to be a max of 12ftx9ft to fit nicely between my speakers, and then roll up neatly when not in use..
    Or should I just read a good book? :MILD:

leonard smalls, Aug 11, 2004
  2. leonard smalls

JackOTrades

Leonard,

I like the idea of a good book... ;)

In regards to AV stuff, I am no expert at all, but you will be able to find a lot of the info you're after on avforums (www.avforums.com). I remember reading threads on fairly good quality projectors for around 1200 to 1500 pounds... but it depends on what you're after.

On the dvd player side, personally, I don't think there is that much sense in spending a lot of money (call me sceptic)... if you are going to use plasmas or projectors you might want to look for one with progressive scan. Most recent dvd players, even those that aren't "high-end", have it (at least for NTSC). PAL Progressive Scan is less common but it is also said that PAL has less need for it. Denons have good reputation (the 2200 for example) but aren't cheap. Pioneers too.

Personally, i would either get something like a universal player (if you don't already own an SACD player) that has decent sound performance without being very expensive. Other than that, go for the high end to use the benefits of i.Links and digital video (fairly new things though).

I have a Pioneer 565-A and am very happy with its picture and sound (redbook cd replay isn't very good though).

Like I said, the guys at AVForums will most likely be able to help more...
    My two cents.

:beer:
    Jack

JackOTrades, Aug 11, 2004
  3. leonard smalls

julian2002 Muper Soderator

leonard,
    i've recently been looking at some form of dvd player and to be honest i'm looking at getting a dvd recorder, there are quite a few that are multiregion, pal progressive and most of the other bells and whistles that i want (sacd and dvda (titter) aren;t required). the one i'm looking at is a toshiba dr1 (iirc) about 300 quid and does the lot including timeslip and chasing playback so you can put the kids to bed and not miss your programme.
    as for projectors there are some new dlp projectors under 1k now which is serious vfm. not much under 700 though so value is relative.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Aug 11, 2004
Ask a Question