Going from 4ch back to 2ch - without arguing :)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by nsherin, Aug 31, 2005.

1. nsherin

nsherin In stereo nirvana...

Hi guys,

The 'without arguing' is a bit tongue-in-cheek - I'm sure some of us are fed up with threads that get derailed OT :)

As you probably know (and can work out from my sig), I've got a Yamaha HTR-5540RDS AV receiver and 2 pairs of Mission speakers (1 set of m70, 1 set of m30). Over the last few months I've become less and less convinced of the sound quality of my setup and to be honest, much prefer listening using Pro Logic II using a pair of headphones.

So, I've thought about possibly trading in my amp and also the m30s (I still like the m70s, as they work well in my small room and don't take up too much space). I'll also consider getting rid of my MF X-ACT DAC - it's not really the great improvement over my NAD C521BEE's DAC that I thought it was.

So, the showdown is between the following 2 budget amps (looking at using Audio-T, as they are near to where I live and do trade-in)

- NAD C30BEE

Pro: Likely a good sonic match with my C521BEE CDP
    Con: No phono stage

- Rotel RA-01

Pro: Built-in phono stage, can change the power cable
    Con: Not sure about how it will sound with my other kit

Sources used:

- NAD C521BEE CD player
    - Pro-Ject Debut II TT
    - Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 for use with iTunes library/DVD/VCD playback on my PC

So, which one would you guys go for? I'm after a warm sound, with decent detail and punchy bass. A good headphone socket is important, as I do a lot of headphone listening late at night. One thing my Yamaha does have is a decent headphone stage.

Thanks for any advice!

nsherin, Aug 31, 2005
  2. nsherin

mr cat Member of the month

the nad amp is a good match - I've got the nad c350...I initially had my yammy av amps for music duties but it simply couldn't cut it...

I have connected my 2 amps tho - for when I want to watch dvds...

I do use the Dac too mearly for cds - but I've upgraded to a MF3.24...I would at least keep the dac until you get a better amp.

from what I've heard - the nad is a warm sound, and the rotel will be more in your face...

mr cat, Aug 31, 2005
  3. nsherin

The Devil IHTFP

"can change the power cable" -- This is actually a "con", in more ways than one!

The Devil, Aug 31, 2005
  4. nsherin

Thanks mr cat. I've not really got space or ideal positioning for my m30s, I use as rears. Also my Yammy has no pre-outs or anything so, connecting a 2ch amp would be a pain. I'm leaning towards the NAD at the moment, but am open to suggestions.....

The DAC will be going as part of the trade in with the amp, not before.

nsherin, Aug 31, 2005
  5. nsherin

yeah, will you not be able to get a demo..?

if not, I would take the gamble with the Nad - it'll sound much, much better than the yammy, and if yoiu're still not that happy, then you could resell it, and you wouldn't lose that much, if anything...

can I ask how much you're paying for it..? - also, what is your top budget..?

edit - the rotel doesn't have a remote, the nad can share the amps remote... ;)

mr cat, Aug 31, 2005
  6. nsherin

Phoned Audio-T - they weren't too helpful on trade-in. Another store has offered me a deal where I only need to pay £30 for the NAD amp. I'm damn tempted!

nsherin, Aug 31, 2005
  7. nsherin

go for it...if music is your thing then do it...I promise, you won't regret it!

mr cat, Aug 31, 2005
  8. nsherin

Thanks - think I'll head down there on Saturday with my old gear.

nsherin, Aug 31, 2005
  9. nsherin

saturday...? go now man... ;)

mr cat, Aug 31, 2005
  10. nsherin

Would if I could, :) but I'm a bit snowed under at work :(

nsherin, Aug 31, 2005
  11. nsherin

Just picked it up and having a listen now. The difference in sound quality is simply unbelievable. Sound is much more controlled, bass is fast, tight and punchy and detail is much better. The sound is far more 'open' sounding and much less 'closed-in'.

First track was 'Brothers in Arms' by Dire Straits - the storm sound effects sounded incredibly real, plus there were certainly a few other details in the track that I've never noticed before - and I've played the album a lot over the last 20 years.

Second track was 'Explain it to my Heart' from Chicago's '21' album. Released in about 1990, I always thought the sound quality was poor in the sense that it lacked any body or warmth to it, simply sounding tinny and compressed. Although it does still sound slightly compressed, the result is a damn sight better than I've ever heard it before and the album is far more listenable.

Third trach was 'Can't Stop Loving You' from Phil Collins' 'Testify' album. The problem with this one is that I've always found it too compressed and even distorted at the top end. Result is much much better - far less distortion and compression and a much more 'open' and detailed sound.

Still digging through the CD collection for the rest of the afternoon, but end result is I'm very very happy! The move back to 2-channel was definately a good move! As a budget amp, even at this early stage, I'd highly recommend the NAD C320BEE and it's C521BEE CD player is an excellent partner as a digital source!

nsherin, Sep 3, 2005
  12. nsherin

zanash

Do you have the pre to power jumpers on the back ? If you do a little swap will provide you with another jump in sound quality. Whip out the jumpers, and swap with either solid silver or copper bar.... Its a no brainer on all the NAD amps

zanash, Sep 3, 2005
  13. nsherin

Thanks for the tip! Yep - got the pastiic jumpers. Not got any spare bars about, but I do have a spare QED Qunex 1. Would that make a difference?

nsherin, Sep 3, 2005
  14. nsherin

zanash

Its got to be worth a go.....but if you need some 4n Ag to fit pm me

zanash, Sep 3, 2005
  15. nsherin

Thanks Zanash :) You have PM!

nsherin, Sep 3, 2005
  16. nsherin

zanash

You have PM too ......

zanash, Sep 3, 2005
  17. nsherin

mr cat, Sep 5, 2005
  18. nsherin

Thanks for the recommendation, Mr. Cat! I'm very pleased with it. Pity I'm in work today, rather than spinning some tunes at home! I had a spare QED Qunex 1 which I'm using at the moment and it seems to have improved things further!

nsherin, Sep 5, 2005
Ask a Question