Goldring EROICA or Audio Technica AT-oc3

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by johnandchris, Apr 4, 2009.

1. johnandchris

johnandchris

Hi folks.
    Just upgraded to an ITTOK on my LP12. I currently have a goldring EROICA LX but a friend of mine has just given me an Audio TECHNICA AT-OC3 MC, boxed with a couple of hours use and in obviously mint condition. The purchase price was £104 in 1994.

Is it worth swapping them over?
    I should say that the body of the EROICA had a crack at the mounting point which i repaired and it seems to be fine.
    Any advice grateful.
    Thanks
    John

johnandchris, Apr 4, 2009
  2. johnandchris

nando nando

At0c3,
    Nando

nando, Apr 4, 2009
  3. johnandchris

RobHolt Moderator

Not much overall difference in quality between them but the AT will be leaner and sharper in presentation as all budget AT moving coils all.

The ATF3 & ATF5 were pretty much the standard recommendation for sub £100 cartridges back in the day for use with the Ittok/LP12.

I'd probably plump for the AT (and used to use ATF5/Tok/LP12 in the 80s) but both are very decent cartridges.

RobHolt, Apr 4, 2009
  4. johnandchris

johnandchris

Thanks fellas.
    Just set it up, what a difference! I had my own solid silver tonearm cable connected to the Basik and it sounded fine with the goldring. just connected my ITTOK with the same cable and the ATOC3, different league!!
    Very happy man.
    Regards
    John

johnandchris, Apr 4, 2009
  5. johnandchris

RobHolt Moderator

I recall the huge grin when I swapped from a Basik+ to Ittok. Superb match for the LP12 and only really bettered by the Ekos IMO. Others may be better in some areas but the Ittok and Ekos give great all-round performance on the LP12.

RobHolt, Apr 4, 2009
Ask a Question