Gone Bananas

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Ultrasonic, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Ultrasonic

Ultrasonic Bo selecta!!

Hey guys, i recently sold my QED genesis single wire as i wanted the biwire version, was gonna add another run of single but it was'nt practical as they are rather phat cables. I landed a good deal on some actual biwire which isnt that much bigger in diameter (thank god) it was bought unterminated though...i asked to buy 16 airlocs from seveoaks but they said only they could fit them on and it would cost me £144 plus fitting! On banana plugs(!) isit just me or is that alot of money to get some cable terminated? I have read that they break easily and are overhyped? Would WBT's be a better option? Also do they do a plug that can fit 2 runs of genesis through so that i only need 12 connectors-2 at the amp end and 4 at the speaker? Help from cable gurus would be apreciated. also the easier it is to terminate it myself the better! I heard wbts come with a tool kit?

Cheers
    Ultra :)

Ultrasonic, Dec 11, 2005
  2. Ultrasonic

AlexTaylor

Elektras sound better single wired. (On the higher models they don't offer the bi-wire option!)

If you must, then you shouldn't be spending more than a fiver for each plug. It is also best to get plugs that just crimp on to the wire or are screwed on thus avoiding any solder.

All IMO of course.

AlexTaylor, Dec 11, 2005
  3. Ultrasonic

Anex Thermionic

I had no end of problems with the screw ones, the screws always seem to break. Ended up pulling the screws out and soldering to it. Only needs doing once, gives a much better connection.

Anex, Dec 11, 2005
  4. Ultrasonic

Will The Lucky One

When I had my VDH Teatrack terminated the guys in Sevenoaks Wolverhampton said there was no cost for fitting the QED Airloc plugs, even though I didn't even buy the cable itself from them! They charged me £80 for fitting 16 4mm banana plugs as well, £144 plus fitting is very expensive indeed - the plugs are only a fiver each as far as I'm aware, and thats retail price!

There are much cheaper options though, get someone to solder on some cheaper 'z' plugs and it'll probably be just as good as the cold welded/clamped Airloc plugs, as long as the solder used is good quality.

Oh, by the way, getting it done so its single wire (2 plugs) at the amp end and 4 at the speaker end can be tricky with airlocs if the cables insulation is thick. I couldn't get my cable terminated in this way due to this, the plugs simply wouldn't go over two bits of cable, so I had to have a 4-4 configuration which means 16 plugs overall, not 12.

Will, Dec 11, 2005
  5. Ultrasonic

AlexTaylor

Screws have never broken on my plugs, but then again it was just a case of fitting the plugs and leaving them on, I don't unplug my cable frequently (actually I don't at all). I got some splendid plugs from Audio Works in Cheadle for my Townshend Isolda DCT Speaker cable which replaced the factory fitted soldered ones. The sound improved nicely for a cheap upgrade.

AlexTaylor, Dec 11, 2005
  6. Ultrasonic

Ultrasonic Bo selecta!!

cheers guys. Will, the Genesis is too big for normal airlocs, these are the larger versions. Ive just bought an amp off them so they shouldnt charge me for fitting! Gonna get them done today.

Ultra

Ultrasonic, Dec 12, 2005
Ask a Question