Good ABX test on PFM

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by RobHolt, Sep 29, 2011.

1. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

RobHolt, Sep 29, 2011
  2. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

Very interesting poll result.
    Of the 14 taking part only 1 managed to pick the direct CD rip as 'X' in this ABX test.
    93% either heard no difference of chose the analogue SB output as the reference file.

Small poll and not enough controls for this to be taken as proof, but it certainly should make listeners think, not that a dac isn't going to improve a mass market streamer but that the difference is often extremely small, as we've said here for some time now.

I had a listen to the analogue input of an iMac the other day on a quick AB against source. That was also interesting to put it mildly, and the spec on that input might surprise you, as it surprised me. The response uniformity and raw figures, including noise, would certainly place it ahead of many audiophile quality pre amplifiers and I certainly wasn't expecting that.

If I get some time at the weekend I'll upload some files.

RobHolt, Oct 10, 2011
  3. RobHolt

DSJR

I think it's the geek-enthusiast focusing on tiny differences and magnifying them out of all proportion perhaps?

Back in the day, I used to religiously turn the mat upside down (and back) on LP12's I'd set up, the belt inside-out and even change direction of the fuse on the Valhalla board to get "the best" out of the old fruitbox sound. Finally hearing a decent CD player with a genuine walk-in soundstage sort of took the wind out of it for me, as the fruitbox-tuning "at the time" was nowhere near the same standard. Linn's answer was the major structural updates in the Cirkus and so-on...

I'm sure it's totally out-classed today, but I'm getting very fine results from a twin-supplied QED Digit (Positron on the DAC part and a Caiman supply on the audio output). The Positron runs much cooler sharing duties and I think the overall sound is still good.

DSJR, Oct 11, 2011
Ask a Question