Good digital cable recommendations

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by cjm, Dec 4, 2004.

1. cjm

cjm

I'm looking for some suggestions for a good cheap digital coaxial and optical cable - say up to £30 each. I'd particularly like to hear from people with hands on experience of the cable recommended who can tell me something about the setup in which it was used.

While I'm after affordable cables which others have found good in practice, I'd also be like to know if, based on personal experience (rather than based on debate of electronic theory) people believe they have or have not heard differences and improvements between one digital cable and another.

I'll use the cables to connect some cd players I have to a couple of dacs. I'm using a cheapo - profigold? digital coaxial at the moment which sounds very good to me and the optical is a cheapy bought from Maplins, which once again, does an extremely good job, as far as I can hear - especially given the comments I've often seen that optical cable is inherently inferior to digital coaxial.

cjm, Dec 4, 2004
  2. cjm

Ian J

Mark Grant over at avforums makes digital cables by hand using Belden 1694A broadcast quality co-axial cable terminated with Canare impedance matched RCA phono connectors and he sells these at a very reasonable £20 for a one metre cable. The link is here.

I use mine to connect a Pioneer DVD player to my Denon AVC10SE AV amp.

Ian J, Dec 4, 2004
  3. cjm

andrew1810

andrew1810, Dec 4, 2004
  4. cjm

wolfgang

Could get one of this digital IC however they are a bit more expensive then above.
    http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PH404.html

Since my Tag transport has 2 digital output I took the chance to connect it up side by side with a more costly Ecosse Reference version. In comparison they sound the same blind or otherwise to all of my friends who visit. Seems well made and the delivery is very efficient. No fancy packaging it just come in a plastic bag.

wolfgang, Dec 5, 2004
Ask a Question