Good intro to Design?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by michaelab, May 12, 2005.

1. michaelab

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

It is spelt right, TCP/IP is stupid and sends the wrong ASCII charectors :D

amazingtrade, May 12, 2005
  2. michaelab

rsand I can't feel my toes

I am going to get some in depth training with dreamweaver and flash though as I have the creative ability just not the time to sit down reading manuals.

Worries me a bit though because I am self tought with Illustrator, photoshop, indesign and XPress I find people i train often ask me the same things over and over, I think this is because they don't appreciate the knowledge because it was given not worked out, will the training I pay for go in one ear and out the other for the same reason?

rsand, May 12, 2005
  3. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Rob - I certainly agree that stuff you've learned by yourself tends to stick better than stuff you've been taught but a good course is an excellent kick start and if you start applying what you learn straight away it can save hours of frustration working things out for yourself. As with Photoshop, Dreamweaver is so complex that there's a lot of stuff you'd probably never figure out without some help, whether from a course or a book. The two Photoshop books I've got along with numerous tips & tricks I've picekd up from forums have helped me no end.

Michael.

michaelab, May 12, 2005
  4. michaelab

MO! MOnkey`ead!

A little off topic, but I'm looking to start teaching myself some basics with a couple of programs.

The only program I'm reasonably competent with is AutoCAD for 2D use. I'm going to kick start things again and start getting MOre familiar with the 3D side of it.

I've recently got a copy of Photoshop 7. I've probably spent less than an hour with it so far. I've done a few searches for tutorials, but MOst seem a bit pants. Any suggestions for good links?

I'd also like to learn some web design. I've no software other than some WYSIWYG stuff on free cds. So any links to learning from the bottom up would also be appreciated.

In general I'd go along with that :)

MO!, May 12, 2005
  5. michaelab

rsand I can't feel my toes

For me, playing with photoshop/illustrator for hours and hour whilst getting paid for it has made me a bit of a ghuru in my circle of designers, photographers and printers I have become too many peoples first port of call and its a real pain.

The help I need with web stuff is beyond the layout and tools, its more knowledge on the workings of the web what is and isnt possible.

TBH i find web a little frustraiting as a designer, I do pictures and colouring in and having to go into text edditing, file optimisation, CODE!!! and searching for bugs just isn't what we are good at. I love what I do, my clients say it shows but the tech side is no fun.

I am thinking of employing a techy sort as I believe the way forward with the net is a creative/techy partnership just like ad campaigns were traditionally a creative/copywriter team.

rsand, May 12, 2005
  6. michaelab

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

The main problem with the web is its moving away from print based design, all the accessability laws means that websites have to be created in a certain way, especiaily if its a local government site.

The 5th Ave site is a classic example of good creativity but technicaly the site is one of the worst I have ever seen.

The problem I have with graphics designers at work is they think they are designing for print. Graphics designers for the web don't need to know anything about databases, or serverside technologies, but I think awareness of usability is very important.

At the end of the day with the web the most important thing is getting the information quickily and easily as possible.

Don't get me wrong I have great respect for graphics designers, its one thing being able to use the software (as in my case) its another thing being creative.

I guess its like song writing, we all know how to pen and paper but thats different to writing a song.

amazingtrade, May 12, 2005
  7. michaelab

auric FOSS

Symbiosis is no sin :)

auric, May 12, 2005
  8. michaelab

ats

ats, May 12, 2005
  9. michaelab

michaelab desafinado

Absolutely. I'm hoping to do just that and get a creative person to work with me once I get started.

Michael.

michaelab, May 12, 2005
Ask a Question