Good secondhand speakers for £6-700... suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dunkyboy, Oct 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dunkyboy

Robbo

As I am a boring old git, I'd sooner stick with the comfort, refinement and rather more tasteful image of a merc thank you very much. 155 mph is enough excitement for me for the time being.

Robbo, Nov 7, 2003
  2. dunkyboy

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Humm pipe and slippers then soon Robbo :D

wadia-miester, Nov 7, 2003
  3. dunkyboy

Robbo

Yes Tone,

I am also intending to put up my current system for sale and buy a TT with some vintage quad amps and a pair of electrostatics:Quad:

Much more my cup of tea, I feel:D

Robbo, Nov 7, 2003
  4. dunkyboy

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

And then you'll know what you've been missing all these years and why Henry wants some electrostatics ;)

LiloLee, Nov 7, 2003
  5. dunkyboy

Robbo

LOL,

I though that one might raise a comment or two!

Robbo, Nov 7, 2003
  6. dunkyboy

The Devil IHTFP

My exile is self-imposed and far from unfortunate, and I'm really glad to be out of there because for some reason or another it's gone uber-nerdy, and as Mr Pig points out, you must be terribly, terribly bored bored bored.

Mind you, there's no great mystery there - a council estate in Wrexham is not exactly the fun centre of the universe (despite its fantastic electricity) or is it?

You are close about Alan Scott, but wrong as usual.

Pip pip!

The Devil, Nov 7, 2003
  7. dunkyboy

The Devil IHTFP

Well, you've answered your own question!
    ;)

The Devil, Nov 7, 2003
  8. dunkyboy

Robbo

Well, thats cos merlin backed off a bit. I think he was a bit worried what would happen to the back end with WM sitting in the rear:)

Robbo, Nov 7, 2003
  9. dunkyboy

The Devil IHTFP

...bit of extra ballast. :D

The Devil, Nov 7, 2003
  10. dunkyboy

Bah, using the old WM in back trick, for not using the throttle in correct amounts, light weights the lot of you :D
    Only one thing on the M3 worth having, the Brakes, there are good :), but can always be made better ;)
    The little A3 isn't a bad tool, even in stock form aquaints itself pretty well, but I reckon only .92 on the G meter.
    Sensible fun for those not too clever behind the wheel (merlin is more than capable)
    Anyway, for a ruffty tuffty ferrite idoliser, Isn't an M5 a bit soft & girlie?, I feel your more of a Hummer person James, that sort of a go/park anywhere thing is more you :cool: Wm

wadia-miester, Nov 7, 2003
  11. dunkyboy

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i'd rather go for something with a bit more character. there is a 4 door eastate version of the skyline r33 or perhaps a mitsubishi galant vr4 or even a twin turbo version of the subaru legacy. if japanese isn't your flavour i saw an absolutely gorgeous new lancia in a car park last weekend... no idea what it was but it was stunning. is rover still going to make the moster version of their big saloon? that looked extremely mentalist.

cheers

julian

julian2002, Nov 7, 2003
  12. dunkyboy

Paul Ranson

OK. But there's no problem doing this with the Audis I've driven, especially the 4wd, which for a very discreet saloon is extremely quick.
    On a track if you're balancing the car on the throttle for any length of time then you're probably not pressing it hard enough...

I'll try and scan a photo of my recreational driving tool this weekend. Faster than an F1 car to 100mph...

Paul

Paul Ranson, Nov 7, 2003
  13. dunkyboy

The Devil IHTFP

Ha ha! Soft and girlie? It may not be the quickest in the corners, though I bet it's actually pretty good, but who cares, you can take 'em out on the straights. V8 ..... five litre.....bet it sounds absolutely glorious!

Beep! Beep!

Mr Toad

The Devil, Nov 8, 2003
  14. dunkyboy

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Ive read a few times that the M5 is the quickest 4 door saloon on the planet.

If thats true, how can it be ''soft and girlie'' - sounds about as soft and girlie as an AK47.

:( The problem with having a company car is you get naff all choice - and its never going to be a sports car!, but its free which kinda makes up for it...

I always tell myself if I ever end up with masses of money (not very likely but stilll!!) and dont have to do the mileage I do now I'd buy a TVR.

Dont you fancy a TVR Bub?

Also, Im curious, if you've got the sort of money it sounds like you have, why havent you got those parts of your hifi which are 'less good' than other parts up to speed?

Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Nov 8, 2003
  15. dunkyboy

Chris, you always think stock, although I feel there's a quicker merc :D plus it's an adgile barge and the worst sin of all BMW :rolleyes:

wadia-miester, Nov 8, 2003
  16. dunkyboy

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

The only fast BMW Ive been in is a 3L z3.

It was fast, but seemed all front heavy and badly proportioned.

I thought regular BMWs were evenly weight distributed front to rear?

maybe I should get me coat..

bottleneck, Nov 8, 2003
  17. dunkyboy

michaelab desafinado

The Z3 is horrible, but it still sold bucket loads :rolleyes:

All BMWs are designed to have as close to a 50:50 weight distribution as possible. Combined with RWD it's what makes them a "driver's car" :)

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 8, 2003
  18. dunkyboy

merlin

It's fair to say that this ratio is similar to the distribution of orifices used by BMW drivers to talk out of, and even in that field, most could be accused of using permanent rear "wheel" drive;)

merlin, Nov 8, 2003
  19. dunkyboy

michaelab desafinado

:bs: :spank:

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 8, 2003
  20. dunkyboy

The Devil IHTFP

Hi Chris, yes I do fancy a TVR, but I need a reasonable sized interior for the children who are now beginning to sprout alarmingly. I also need reliability, and I'm not the world's best driver so ABS and the anti-skid technology on the M5 will help. My current BMW is frankly a bit scary/tail-happy in the wet, and has only about half the power output of the M5.

The reasons I prefer BMWs to Mercs are that they are better to drive, you can hear the engine (and it sounds very nice if it's a six or an eight), and they don't have the silly gunsight on the bonnet. I think they are more discreet. And for equivalent performance, BMWs are slightly cheaper.

I'm doing reasonably OK, but far from a plutocrat. I know everyone will laugh, but I don't think any bits of my hi-fi are 'less good', but you can tell me I'm wrong if you like. You have to hear it first though!

The Devil, Nov 8, 2003
Ask a Question