Got a bad feeling about this

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PBirkett, Feb 11, 2006.

1. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

A little while ago, my dad was having a few problems with being breathless and having a nagging cough.

So he went to the docs and they gave him an inhalor, this helped for a while, but then it sort of came back, so they gave him a different one. He says it does help a bit... however, every morning he wakes up with a cough, I presume it is a productive one and it makes him wretch pretty bad. Lately he has had a very poor appetite and just generally feeling unwell.

He is going to the docs about it again on monday, however, i have a feeling this could be the sign of something bad? He used to smoke about 27 years ago but quit, but he reckons he's always had "asthma" like symptoms. Now I know of one disease that this could potentially be, but it doesnt even bare thinking about.... do you reckon it could just be a chest infection or something?

PBirkett, Feb 11, 2006
  2. PBirkett

andy m

i have asthma and other than the bit about the appetite / generally feeling unwell, that describes some of my mornings too. especially in the winter, i'll sometimes wake up with a nasty / productive cough. after an hour or so i feel like normal. i've never smoked.

andy m, Feb 11, 2006
  3. PBirkett

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Easlier said than done perhaps, but no point worrying about it and trying to get it diagnosed on a forum or by yourself.
    Wait and see what the doc's say on MOnday and go from there.

Hope he's ok mate :)

MO!, Feb 11, 2006
  4. PBirkett

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Paul - as Mo's said, don't get ahead of yourself until you KNOW what's wrong - it's potentially just a chest infection or asthma - what does your dad do for a job?

If it's what you think it is, worrying about it won't help anyone - I speak from experience (twice!). Just be there for your dad and wait and see what the doctor says. If the doc drags his heels, go to a different one.

Seriously, until you know the score, you have to be positive. Panicking won't help anyone - especially your dad.

domfjbrown, Feb 13, 2006
  5. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Nah I'm not panicking, just concerned really.

Anyway he's been to the docs again, and they said while they didnt think there was anything serious, they say he is very run down, and have signed him off work for a month.

PBirkett, Feb 13, 2006
  6. PBirkett

Bob McC living the life of Riley

Paul
    2 observations
    1. Just after Xmas I got a bad dose of the lurgy that eventually turned into a persistent hacking cough. it wqs so bad that I was retching throughout the night and strained something in my throat. I was convinced I had got something horrible but it eventually went. Your dad might well be OK.
    2. If you have any doubts about dad's diagnosis you are fully entitled to ask for the second opinion of a consultant. Your GP might not like it - bugger their sensitivities - your dad's health is what matters, and early diagnosis of any condition is crucial.

Bob McC, Feb 13, 2006
Ask a Question