Got a Densen Demagic disc

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Jimbo, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo

I don't know whether some regard this as foo so don't be too harsh.

I saw the disc in my local charity shop going cheap, so after a bit of thinking about is it foo or not and wasting my time i decided to go for it.

It only takes three minutes to do the job. I sat down to listen my first music disc and i thought well it may have made a slight improvement. This was listening in the afternoon, a time i don't normally listen. Later in the evening, my normal listening time it struck me that the midrange had changed from a warm sound to a more neutral sound. I also noticed the bass was a tad tighter, gelling better with the lower midrange. The highs were cleaner to as if they had a more polished and sweeter sound.

So all in all i am pleased for what it has done for a modest outlay as these were something like £20 to £30 (not sure if that is accurate). Would like others opinions who have actually tried it.

Jim.

Jimbo, Jun 5, 2010
  2. Jimbo

RobHolt Moderator

What is it supposed to do, and how?

RobHolt, Jun 5, 2010
  3. Jimbo

AlfonsVH

From http://www.densen.dk/DEMAGIC/TNT.htm (emphasis mine):

AlfonsVH, Jun 5, 2010
  4. Jimbo

RobHolt Moderator

Gosh.

RobHolt, Jun 6, 2010
  5. Jimbo

Colin2040

I was given one as a present and I am not really a believer in a lot of these types of products but I use this probably twice a year and generally would agree with your findings.It does seem to tighten things up generally and makes it s slightlier more neutral presentation. I dont find that it is a big difference but it is there.

Colin2040, Jun 6, 2010
  6. Jimbo

Jimbo

Perhaps if you have a new cd player then it will have no effect. Mine is over 5 years old so i heard the improvement. Others with even older machines probably will hear a bigger improvement.

Jim.

Jimbo, Jun 6, 2010
  7. Jimbo

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

Oh what bollocks...

sq225917, Jun 7, 2010
  8. Jimbo

Jimbo

Oh what language.

Jimbo, Jun 7, 2010
  9. Jimbo

Fnuckle Trade

It's not bollocks, it's special audiophile physics. It works according to the simple formulae:

F=ma

Where 'F' is foo (measured in gullibilons), 'm' is the money extracted from the listener and 'a' is the amount of years between the person's current age and the age the person last attended a science lesson.

Fnuckle, Jun 7, 2010
  10. Jimbo

theo

I was given one by someone who thought it was bollocks - free foo.

So I put it on at the recommended normal listening levels. Christ, it's a din, a bit like an Einsturzende Neubauten B side. Funnily enough, everything I played after that noise sounded better...

I've used it a couple of times since - I think I'm beginning to understand and appreciate the noise.

theo, Jun 7, 2010
  11. Jimbo

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Ive had it demo'd to me before.

I think it was around the time that the 'green pen' on cd edges was having it's day, perhaps about 5 years ago now.

I could not reliably hear a difference.

As you say though, it's £30 so at least it's not thousands.

bottleneck, Jun 7, 2010
  12. Jimbo

Jimbo

I paid £1.50 for it so i am well chuffed with the outcome. I think it works like the demagnetizers used on cassettes machines. For what i paid i can't grumble.

Jimbo, Jun 8, 2010
  13. Jimbo

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

Playback heads on tape decks have an electrical bias applied to them and are in close contact with moving magnetic tape. They pick up residual amounts of magnetism due to the 'movement' of magnetic particles across them- they are temporary electromagnets.

No other bit of hifi has moving magnetic particles passing an induced field. So it simply can't work in the same way.

Playing a screechy racket through your hifi is nothing like placing a used electromagnet in proximity to an electromagnetic field. An AC signal and magnetism are not the same- you are missing one element- the coil....

If it worked then it would erase your speaker magnets....

sq225917, Jun 9, 2010
Ask a Question