got me a gorb

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dreemer, Feb 18, 2005.

1. dreemer

dreemer

just bought a gorb from matrix hifi.

for £1k i got a gyro se, orbe platter, bearings, clamp, springs etc. technoarm and trichord hr psu. all mint and boxed.

i have gyro se (dc) with a ol silver 250 on it so if i'm lucky i should be able to sell my T/T with one of the arms and hopefully the upgrade will have cost me nothing.

i am going to run both decks for a week to find out if the improvments are actually that. and i am very interested to find out which is the better arm
    i have been after a full blown orbe for a while but the prices have never been right. hopefully this A/B comparison will let me know what i have or have not been missing, and i can spend my money elsewhere.

speaking of which... there are loads of monitor audio GR20's at almost half rrp at the moment. anyone got any views on these. i loved the GR10's but the bass was a bit light

dreemer, Feb 18, 2005
  2. dreemer

sideshowbob Trisha

Smart move. My Gorbe is exactly the same spec as yours apart from the PSU, which is the older VC model for DC motors. I've never compared it against a Gyro, but it's done sterling work for the last few years and is still splendid in all respects.

Are you going to run identical cartridges in both?

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Feb 18, 2005
  3. dreemer

T-bone Sanchez

Ive so got TT envy :(

Ive only ever owned one piece of vinyl, Jive Bunny & the master mixers c'mon everybody, which I got when I was 9 yrs old, yet I still have TT envy.

I'll have to start at the bottom and work my way up. Funny thing is, whilst Im only a youngster (26) I prefer the look of the older TT's with those nice wood plinths.

T-bone Sanchez, Feb 18, 2005
  4. dreemer

dreemer

ian
    yeah, thats the only problem. i can have both t/t's set up on my rack and change the arm between the two. all well and good. but i will have to remove the cart before checking the other one. i'll let you know my findings.
    glad you think i've made a wise move tho'

when i sell on how much do you think i could charge for:
    gyro se / technoarm, clamp or,
    gyro se/ ol silver 250, clamp

dreemer, Feb 18, 2005
  5. dreemer

sideshowbob Trisha

Not sure. Is it a Technoarm 'A' or the older Technoarm?

New, an armless DC Gyro SE is about £900, a new Technoarm A with Michell VTA adjuster and 2 counterweights is £400 I think, so if you have all the bits and the deck is reasonably recent I reckon £800-£900 for the pair would be reasonable. If it's the older Technoarm a bit less. How much is an OL Silver?

I think the Technoarm A is an excellent piece of engineering, and although in cost terms it was a downgrade from the RRP of my previous arm (Hadcock 242SE) it's probably a better all-rounder on a bouncy deck. It doesn't sound like a weak link, despite being used with a much more expensive cart (Ortofon Rohmann). It's a far far better arm than a stock RB300 for sure. OTOH I'm agnostic about the engineering abilities of OL.

One day I'll try a secondhand SME IV, SME arms were John Michell's own recommendation for Orbes and Gorbes, but I won't be doing that any time soon I suspect, unless a bargain comes along.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Feb 18, 2005
  6. dreemer

dreemer

not 100% sure about the technoarm. suppose i'll find out soon enough. i think i'll be unfortunate, to say the least to be out of pocket after the upgrade
    we shall see

dreemer, Feb 18, 2005
Ask a Question