GPS - Tom Tom and such

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MO!, Jan 27, 2006.

1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Hi.

Any thoughts and experience with what's hot and what's not?

MO!, Jan 27, 2006
  2. MO!

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i swear by (and very rarely at) my original tom tom go. most of the big gps names use the mapping data from one of 2 companies and it's the mapping data which can make or break a product so they are all pretty much of a muchness.
    of the bunch i'd either go for the new tom tom one or a go 500 dependant on what facilities i needed.
    i'd not touch a pda, phone or notebook based system, they sound good in theory but are often slow (phone), can have compatibility issues with other software (pda) or are dangerous (an unsecured notebook in an accident?). the latter do tend to get updated more often though which may make them worth it if you don;t mind the hassle.

julian2002, Jan 28, 2006
  3. MO!

robs

I just bought a Garmin i3 (£99 from Somerfield). It has a smaller screen than most, but does the job well. You can download speed camera locations from pocketgps (for free), & not only does it tell you when you approach, but also warns if you are approaching too fast (pretty accurately). Directions & maps have been very good so far.

robs, Jan 28, 2006
  4. MO!

Dev Moderator

I bought TomTom 500 on Julian's recommendation and I'm well pleased with it.

Thanks Julian:bmw:

Dev, Jan 28, 2006
  5. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Hello and thanks :)

I'm pretty sure he's (it's for my dad), going to go for the Tom Tom One. Seems to do everything he's after.

The only thing was, I wasn't sure about how updatable they are. I checked out pocketgps though (thanks rob), and seems it'll be fine.

Out of interest, what voice do people use? I see you can have just about anyone doing it. Homer simpson, Kit, Picard.....

MO!, Jan 28, 2006
  6. MO!

julian2002 Muper Soderator

no problems dev, glad you're a happy bunny.

i use the default female uk voice - jane i think it is. can;t see the point in paying for extra - there were instructions for creating your own on the web somewhere - i believe it uses ogg files to store various voice samples.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jan 28, 2006
  7. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

When looking on ebay I noticed looooooooooooads of people selling discs full of alternative voices and other software, for just a couple of quid.

MO!, Jan 28, 2006
  8. MO!

rodrat

I have a friend who is on his third tom tom 700 in as many weeks. He may be just unlucky.

Rod

rodrat, Jan 28, 2006
  9. MO!

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

If I ever had to buy one I would not purchase a tom tom simply on their really crap business practises.

There was some freeware available for Macs which allowed Tom tom to work on OSX, (Tom tom do not support macs)

Tom tom took the freeware guy to court and got him to take it down, but they still will not supply software for mac. Bunch of wa*nkers.

My stepdad got a NavMan and although I have little experience it seemed excellent, I especially like the 3D view (although assume they all have this)

garyi, Jan 28, 2006
  10. MO!

Tim F

Tim F, Jan 29, 2006
  11. MO!

greg Its a G thing

We're trying out Tom Tom Mobile v 5 on the Nokia N70 (with 512MB although apparently only needs 256) and so far it has seemed just as smooth a nippy as a Tom Tom standalone. It's being used in conjunction with a separate Chinese GPS module which links via Bluetooth. I have to say at the moment it seems to stack up and you can carry it in your pocket for mapping on foot.

greg, Jan 31, 2006
  12. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I quite like the look of the XDA II pda phones.

Mixed reviews online, but they seem to go for anything from £100-£400 on ebay.

MO!, Jan 31, 2006
  13. MO!

IanAG

What GPS receiver have you got? I am after a cheap one as I won't use it that often. I was wondering about one of these.

I got an XDA Mini S a couple of weeks ago now.

It is ok. Bit slow at first prior to a little tweaking, and the fact it can only synchronise with Outlook is a pain in the arse. I am going to give it a chance as in many ways it is very good and hopefully I can learn to live with the negatives.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2006
    IanAG, Feb 1, 2006
  14. MO!

robert_cyrus

bought a tomtom go 300 not so long ago, i find it excellent. very clear sound.

robert_cyrus, Feb 1, 2006
Ask a Question