Graham Coxon at the Rescue Rooms

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Uncle Ants, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Uncle Ants

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Hi All,

Went to see Mr Coxon at the Nottingham Rescue Rooms on Saturday night and it was an absolute corker (Goomer you're in for a treat :) ).

He was on for about an hour and a half and went through stuff from all four of his solo outings and majored on the loud and punky rather than the quiet and wistful - the audience really did freak out to "Freakin Out". Good old fashioned loud punk pop at its best. Off the new album, "Hopeless Friend" was another highlight and the closer "Who the **** (you lookin at)?" was just great. All in all, not a dull moment all evening. Support band were shit though.

I did think it was funny the number of speccy teenaged girls in stripey t-shirts, all looking like they'd like to mother him (;) ). They could "mother" me if they like - I'm kinda speccy and nerdy looking too ... but then I spose I'm not a guitar god ... besides Auntie Ants would have a word to say about that I suspect.

The other thing that did occur to me afterwards was this. We've had a few threads in the past about what HiFi is supposed to be about and the assumption is often that proper HiFi recreates the live event. Now this may be true re acoustic and orchestral stuff, but it struck me that to get your kit to the stage where it could sound like a live rock event in a small venue like this one would be

a) next to impossible
    b) completely insane if it were

3D soundstage? Bollocks!! - it sounds like a mono recording coming from a single giant full range driver twenty foot wide :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2004
    Uncle Ants, Jun 1, 2004
Ask a Question