Graphics Equalizers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by sammyo, Aug 24, 2009.

1. sammyo

cooky1257

Hello stereotype, I read on another thread that you prefer to listen via headphones? Could this be anything to do with room issues ruining the speaker experience? I think part of the issue here and I do agree to some extent is that graphic equalizers can be a bit of a gimmick. Where I beq to differ is in the broad brush dismissal of room eq as none audiophile-I know plenty on here and elsewhere who are more than happy with DEQX for example and may also add that for example the KT analogue graphic eq's are very high quality and in the right hands can transform a system. More than a few high end speakers will already be using passive equalisation in their xover.

cooky1257, Aug 25, 2009
  2. sammyo

stereotype

Nothing whatever to do with that, or anything else personal. In view of what else I have written, I regard that as a pretty unpleasant comment, and I will have to force myself if I am to continue to reply.

That is also unjustified. High quality equalisation is acceptable, though inevitably expensive. It is absurd to even think of room resonance when systems themselves are out of control. Now if you would read what I have written in this thread, it would be good. And jolly civil of you.

DEQX is more concerned with correcting loudspeaker non-linearities, afaik, and there is plenty of scope for doing that with available commercial products, of course. So this system has something important going for it that is akin to bi-wiring, not equalisation. I haven't heard DEQX, but I don't expect from it an enormous improvement due to room equalisation. For one thing, digital technology usually leaves something to be desired, in my experience. For another, the theory behind the process involves an utterly colossal blunder by comparing distribution of speakers to those of musical instruments. How that impacts the performance of a DEQX system I don't know, but I'm not encouraged to find out. It's not cheap to buy anyway.

I'm sure they can, but not a system that is likely to be used by an audiophile of reasonable means and who practises system hygiene. Imv, of course.

Not for room resonance correction, surely.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2009
    stereotype, Aug 25, 2009
  3. sammyo

cooky1257

Frankly reading the whole thread again I find your responses all rather abrasive-had I known I wouldn't have attempted discourse with you..
    If you care to read your post no4 you describe the benefits of headphone listening . But I'll leave it here thanks .

cooky1257, Aug 25, 2009
  4. sammyo

stereotype

Odd that you didn't pick it up first time.

stereotype, Aug 25, 2009
  5. sammyo

andyoz

I am now convinced this thread is a wind up. Shame on you Cooky for being so unpleasant. :)

Good luck!!

andyoz, Aug 25, 2009
  6. sammyo

cooky1257

I know Andy I can be a right c**t sometimes:)

cooky1257, Aug 25, 2009
  7. sammyo

RobHolt Moderator

That did make me laugh :D - wind-up or not.

RobHolt, Aug 25, 2009
  8. sammyo

stereotype

Now it's me who's laughing.

stereotype, Aug 25, 2009
  9. sammyo

cooky1257

Is it any wonder 'audiophile' is a pejorative word in some circles?

cooky1257, Aug 25, 2009
  10. sammyo

andyoz

andyoz, Aug 25, 2009
  11. sammyo

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

[​IMG]

bottleneck, Aug 25, 2009
  12. sammyo

DavidF

I'm with ST here.

I don't label myself as any thing, except a bod who wants to get the best from his kit.

DavidF, Aug 26, 2009
Ask a Question