Great Lives - Audio Pioneers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by RobHolt, Jul 8, 2011.

1. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

Please make your nomination for the person you consider to be among the most important audio pioneers. A 'services to audio' award if you like.

Living of dead, doesn't matter, but please give an explanation for your nomination and outline that person's work.

You can nominate more than one person.

RobHolt, Jul 8, 2011
  2. RobHolt

Tenson Moderator

Too many to choose from. I'm thinking of Alton Everest, Philip Newell, Floyd Toole and Doug Self.

I think it has to go to all the people who started the major record labels though, like Richard Branson, as they funded most of the serious recording studios which produced great sounding records and CDs. Most have closed now thanks to digital home recording but none-the-less.

Tenson, Jul 8, 2011
  3. RobHolt

Tenson Moderator

How about Daniel Ek, the founder of Spotify? I have never found so much good new music!

Tenson, Jul 8, 2011
  4. RobHolt

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

I think I'd go for Peter Walker, James Lansing and Paul Klipsch. All three were pioneers in the true sense of the word, they created, discovered and defined what we now take for granted, in fact one could easily argue things have moved backwards since their period of true innovation in the 40s and 50s.

Tony.

TonyL, Jul 9, 2011
  5. RobHolt

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

How about

Édouard-Léon Scott de Martinville - He invented the earliest recording device in 1857, the Phonautograph.

Thomas Edison - He invented the Phonograph in 1877. This was able to record & playback sound.

Emile Berliner - He invented the flat gramophone disc in 1888.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=fC...=gbs_selected_pages&cad=1#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://www.google.com/patents?id=hO...=gbs_selected_pages&cad=1#v=onepage&q&f=false

Peter Carl Goldmark - He led the Columbia research team that developed the 33.33 rpm, 12" LP in 1948

All these people helped to bring music to the masses.

SCIDB

SCIDB

SCIDB, Jul 9, 2011
  6. RobHolt

RobHolt Moderator

I guess Steve Jobs and Apple should have a mention.

He and his company have been at the forefront of the whole move away from physical media and towards downloads.
    Combine that with the popularity of the iPod and you could argue he's ushered in a revolution.

RobHolt, Jul 10, 2011
Ask a Question