Great What HiFi review of my fave budget DAC - Beresford

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by JANDL100, Sep 11, 2008.

1. JANDL100

sandgrownun

My experience is that it is a decent, good value and flexible piece of equipment.

sandgrownun, Sep 16, 2008
  2. JANDL100

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Purite Audio, Sep 16, 2008
  3. JANDL100

JANDL100

What's the relevance to this thread, Keith? - you've already been told, here and in another forum, that Beresford's DAC is a highly modified version of the TEC. Are you just doing more of the muck-spreading you so enjoy?

JANDL100, Sep 16, 2008
  4. JANDL100

5. JANDL100

JANDL100

I firmly believe that one dealer should not slag off another dealer without providing firm evidence for their assertions. You have failed to do so, Keith - that is called trolling and is generally severely frowned upon on internet forums.

Either put up or shut up.

JANDL100, Sep 16, 2008
  6. JANDL100

Stanley is a manufacturer surely!

7. JANDL100

JANDL100

You know very well that he sells direct and is therefore a dealer as well.

You really are a nasty piece of work, you know. No wonder so many dealers get such a bad rep.

JANDL100, Sep 17, 2008
  8. JANDL100

I am just trying to discover the truth, you were/are the dacs chief propoent , you over hyped the product , much like many of the dealers I have experienced.

Purite Audio, Sep 17, 2008
  9. JANDL100

ShinOBIWAN

Over hyped? Hardly. Just an enthusiastic owner as far as I can see and I don't think JANDL is a dealer either.

On the flip side, I'm quite sure if someone championed the Cessaro or Allnic designs you wouldn't be jumping to discover the 'truth'.

There's many threads advocating many products across the net are you going to enter into each and uncover the truth for the masses?

Your posts wreak of sour grapes so why don't you do us all a favour and be a litle more objective?

ShinOBIWAN, Sep 17, 2008
  10. JANDL100

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

Your coming over a bit 'Ashley James' to be honest Keith

sq225917, Sep 19, 2008
  11. JANDL100

cjm

I've had one of the Beresford DACs for a while now (nearing a year I think). In that time, I've tried it in various systems and it settled into my bedroom setup with Linn Keilidh speakers and MF Xpre v3 and XP200 power amp. Whereever I've tried it, the sound has been very good. Sounds lovely in the present system. I'm delighted Stanley has got a positive review in WHF - not because that represents any form of definitive judgement, but it's great to see a value for money product coming from a non-established source, and IMO seeing off many a rival product.

And yes, in my opinion, it outperformed a number of CD players and Dacs I've heard over the years - many of which cost a lot more. It's a genuine opinion. Why on earth do people get so het up with people having a genuine opinion which challenges the hifi status quo? Seems pretty obvious to me that throwing ever more money at hifi is the worst way of finding the sound that you like, but so many seem unduly influenced by a high price and pretty packaging. I could go on.... but, ah well, each to his/her own.

And suppose I owe a thankyou to Jandl as he was one of the reasons I became aware of the DAC and ending up getting it. So, thankyou Jandl:D

Hifi Health Warning: Any views expressed in this post are the honestly held views of the poster who has no commerical connection with any product mentioned. Readers of this thread should make up their own minds by independent review whether they like any product mentioned as the poster will not be held liable should a £100 product not sound better than a £10,000 one - but it might ;) .

cjm, Sep 22, 2008
  12. JANDL100

JANDL100

Well, gosh, thank you, cjm. :)

I agree that the Beresford is a fine DAC for the money - and with its many inputs, very versatile. I've never said it's the best DAC in the world, and imo it isn't. And, ime, it sure works better in some systems than others.

What does get my goat though, is when some folks who appear by their persistence to have their own agenda make claims of fraud against Beresford (which is what a simple re-badging when technical changes are claimed would be) without providing any evidence whatsoever. To me, that seems trolling of the worst and nastiest kind, when technical evidence would be trivial to obtain (just open up a Beresford and a TEC DAC and look!).

Anyway, cjm, I'm glad you enjoy the DAC and that I helped prompt you to try it.

JANDL100, Sep 22, 2008
  13. JANDL100

Gazjam

It was Jerry's original review (way back when..) that got my attention too, and made me DEMO the Dac, not buy it blindly.
    Turns out he was spot on. It trounced my Cambridge Audio 640C Mk2, far bigger soundstage, more musical, more analogue(ish) sounding. And that was the Mark 3.

So another shout for the Beresford here, I demo'd my Mark 6/3 against a Roksan Kandi III CDP and others (no point buying another DAC unless it was better than the one I had) and to me, in my system and ears it was a big step above (particularly when I got my speaker positioning sorted out).

Coops,
    Im not normally the kind of guy to get involved in these matters, (internet forums mean f*ck all in the real world really..) but you HAVE had this response from people about your tone and manner in forums ABOUT THE SAME PRODUCT.

Sure, the DACs not a few grand..does that by default make it sound shit?

Any you CONSISTENTLY seem to be implying frudulent behaviour (rebadging a stock product...) by Beresford...why is this?
    Share your knowledge with us.
    Its odd though you keep asking the same questions about this product, even after you have had the same answers. Why do you keep insinuating these things?

What is it about this guy you dont like?

I'd be more pissed off with the snake-oil salesman and Dealers in these forums personally, making money off uninformed people, rather than someone like Beresford selling quality at an affordable price.
    If he was out for a quick buck, he could have marketed it better and sold it for £000's, after all, theres one born every minute right?

This hobby would be better if there were more manufacturers like Beresford and less unscrupulous dealers.

Remember the Not The Nine o'Clock News "hifi shop" sketch?

Thats what I am reminded of here :)

You Sir, are a Snob.

Gazjam, Sep 24, 2008
  14. JANDL100

Gaz well sorry if I appear a 'snob' I bought a Bersford as part of a large dac/cdp trial, it was perfectly adequate , and certainly cheap enough. Do you have the latest model? Perhaps you could open the unit and take a photograph ,thanks Keith.

Purite Audio, Sep 24, 2008
  15. JANDL100

Gazjam

Coops,

Its just how it comes across my friend.
    Reasonable response though, so here goes. :)

Mines still under warranty, so cant open it up I'm afraid.
    And I know theres proprietry circuit design in there, so I'd feel better to check first before I posted pics.

This is off the Beresford website, tech specs of the Mark 6/3 power supply design. I'm an electronics noob, but some pretty clever design in here.
    (this is new for the Mark 6/3, I'm not sure which version you had Coops.

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/TC-7510/vdc.html

A guide to different versions is here:
    http://www.homehifi.co.uk/others/versions.html

As Jerry said earlier in the thread, the latest version is more of a step-change than a revison...you should check it out. The Dac IS system dependent yes, but not that much, and the new one really is good.

How good? Thats up to the individual of course! Not the best Dac in the world sure, but it hold its head up in esteemed company for sure.

A thread on the 'Wam (not sure if its been "locked" for whatever reason), compares the Dac64 with the Mark6/3, and the Beresford isn't as good as the Chord, (obviously I'd have to say...),but its not a million miles away either..
    I trust the guy who tested it (regular poster, voice of reason to my opinion) and the fact that the B Dac is even close says a lot about it.

This stuffs all just opinion anyway mate, I dont take it too seriously. If it sounds good to me, or someone else's ears thats fine. :)

All the best...

G.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2008
    Gazjam, Sep 24, 2008
  16. JANDL100

G thanks for the info, I bought mine from another forum user, at a time when some revisions had been taking place, I will try and have another listen to a current one, to be honest there isn't a huge amount of difference between DACS no matter how expensive they are, regards Keith.

17. JANDL100

Chris

I suspect people are talking about 2 different things - the then and now versions of the 7510. I honestly think anyone with a Beresford Mk. 3 should ask Stanley about the mods he has discovered for this model. They consist of cutting 3 tracks on the board and soldering in three links. Believe me, the transformation is night and day, chalk and cheese. The Mk.3 becomes a Mk. 300.

Chris, Sep 24, 2008
  18. JANDL100

racey

Are you saying that there is not much difference between the latest Beresford and the Stahl-Tek 'Vekian' DAC?

racey, Sep 24, 2008
  19. JANDL100

Just the difference between not wanting to listen and wanting to listen.

20. JANDL100

racey

Isn't that a huge difference?

racey, Sep 25, 2008
Ask a Question