Ground Loop Solutions?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Dynamic Turtle, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Dynamic Turtle

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Gents,

Had an amp change recently and managed to introduce a mild ground loop between the pre/power. There was a mild but audible buzz emanating from the speakers, which was eliminated after I installed an isolator between them. However, it is a cheap component and not exactly a sophisticated audiophile solution and I was wondering what else I could do, other than have a 20p transformer between two expensive components? Is it dangerous to use a two-prong "cheater" IEC cable to the preamp, thereby removing the ground? What happens to the integrated phono stage ground in this instance? Does it even work?

I haven't tried moving the components away from each other - apparently proximity related magnetic fields can also be an issue...

Thanks,
    DT

Dynamic Turtle, Jun 15, 2009
  2. Dynamic Turtle

zanash

does the power amp have attenuators ? I've heard hum generated if the pre and power both essentially have volume pots ....in my case it was two pre amps to a power amp

zanash, Jun 15, 2009
  3. Dynamic Turtle

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

DT

Have you tried running them from seperate wall sockets? (with an extension cable of course). I've had success with this before.

bottleneck, Jun 15, 2009
  4. Dynamic Turtle

RobHolt Moderator

An interconnect with resistance of around 10-100 ohms in the ground/return line can help and sometimes eliminate the problem entirely.

Two ways to do this:

- Spend £200 on a VDH carbon cable.

- Spend 10p on a resistor and solder it in series with the input.

RobHolt, Jun 16, 2009
  5. Dynamic Turtle

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Thanks for the posts guys - I'll take the suggestions into consideration.

Dynamic Turtle, Jun 16, 2009
Ask a Question