Guess the interconnect

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Gromit, May 10, 2004.

1. Gromit

Gromit Buffet-blower

Hi all,

I'm wondering if some of you eagle-eyed folks would be able to help me here: I was given this interconnect cable a few years ago - it was in a friend's system which he was selling and was getting rid of the last few bits'n'bobs. I'm not sure what it is - it certainly sounds pretty good. He was using Kimber bi-wire speaker cable so I'm wondering if this is also an older Kimber product.

Failing that it could be a Deltec cable (he had a Deltec D/A converter with a Meridian CD player).

The cable's very thin guage, clearly teflon insulated with 2x white and 2x pale green wires.

Many thanks for any help - it's been bugging me for a while! :)

Attached Files:

Gromit, May 10, 2004
  2. Gromit

michaelab desafinado

Deltec Black Slink uses green and white pairs allthough I think there's 2 pairs of each colour making 8 wires alltogether. Also, it's always sheathed with a thick black rubbery kind of insulation.

The "bare bones" look is more reminiscent of Kimber cables though.

Michael.

michaelab, May 10, 2004
  3. Gromit

Gromit Buffet-blower

Many thanks Michael - reckon you could be on to something with the Black Slink. Seem to remember my friend removing the outer black covering (for some no doubt daft reason).

Just bought some 50 quid Chord cable after popping into a well-known hi-fi store near me 'as it'll be a lot better than that stuff you've got there'. Hmmmm...just compared the 2 and the 'mystery cable' p*ssed on it; clearer, faster, more dynamic and just more enjoyable. Ho hum... :rolleyes:

Gromit, May 10, 2004
  4. Gromit

Neil

This looks like dpa slink cable, it was usually "braided" rather than the loose twists shown in your pic and was used for some internal wiring as well as interconnects. White and black slink were produced, black having more conductors, braided shield and goretex insulation. They were sometimes produced as pseudo-balanced cables and black slink was even used as speaker cable for their 50 and 100S power amps - two runs per speaker to provide feedback.

Neil, May 10, 2004
  5. Gromit

A0S

It is Deltec (or DPA) Slink, still got some in the loft:eek:

A0S, May 10, 2004
  6. Gromit

Lord .

It looks like some DPA Slink I also have. Very fine and non-esoteric cable that cost roughly £40 a pair.

Mine is much tighter twisted than your picture though, confirming some of the thoughts above regarding it being an 'upmarket' DPA (aka Deltec Precision Audio).

AOS,
    Can you spare any from your loft for a nominal fee per metre? PM me as I need to throw some more 'Shark' (!) cable out of my passive pre...

Lord, May 11, 2004
  7. Gromit

zanash

The RCA plugs are a type used by a number of manufactors in the mid 90's, these include Solo Accessories where I used to get mine! The RCA is very similar to the type now sold in Maplin, with a gold body.

I would have said their probably a home brew, though I've not dissected a slink. I don't think kimber ever used that colour scheme.

These are easy to replicate ........or even beat for about £45-00ish if you can solder.

zanash, May 11, 2004
  8. Gromit

Gromit Buffet-blower

Many thanks for the replies guys - you've been a major help. :)

Looks like it's Slink then - it would make sense as it was originally bought alongside some DPA gear, from KJWest One.

Gromit, May 11, 2004
  9. Gromit

Lt Cdr Data om

I would have siad they look home made, but I don't know interconnects that well to comment.

Lt Cdr Data, May 11, 2004
Ask a Question