Gypsies have taken over my university

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Apr 8, 2005.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

amazingtrade, Apr 8, 2005
  2. amazingtrade

MO! MOnkey`ead!

MO!, Apr 8, 2005
  3. amazingtrade

ats

Can anyone tell the differnce between the students and the travellers?

ats, Apr 8, 2005
  4. amazingtrade

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

yea travellers are more willing to work :p

themadhippy, Apr 8, 2005
  5. amazingtrade

Students get jobs and end up paying a hell of a lot of money in income tax as on average they earn £420,000 more than none graduates in their working lives.

Travelers don't actually put any money into the economy. Also a lot the media coverage about jobless graduates is crap. Yes are graduates who will never earn much, but that is the minority. The average salery for students at my university when they get their first job is £15,900 this soon rises. Nationaly its £16,300 which includes London.

The people I know who are in their early 20's and have not got a degree are mainly earning around £11-£12k. There are some expections to this however for example those in the construction industry.

The essense is the more you earn the more you pay in tax, so what tax breaks students get now, they will soon pay that back.

6. amazingtrade

I know its probably just tongue in cheap but thats not really fair, most students have to work all weekends now just to pay their fees. I am lucky becuase my part time job pays very well and I live at home which means I don't have to work part time to live.

A lot of things about students annoy me, but the not willing to work and the tax dodging stereotypes are not fair.

7. amazingtrade

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Since it now costs a significant amount of money to the individual to go to university, if they don't work then they're wasting their own money...

I-S, Apr 9, 2005
  8. amazingtrade

Yep, although I don't really work full time, I have earn't about £2000 in the last year though, that means my student loan is about half what it could have been. I would have done more work if it was there, but the company I work for is very volitle, they are consultants, so its not that often they are asked to develop websites which is my job. My company tends to train web developers how to create accessable sites.

Still I've got loads of bonuses from it and it its much more fun and interesting than working for Tesco :)

amazingtrade, Apr 9, 2005
  9. amazingtrade

mr cat Member of the month

AM...take this tablet, it contains an ingredient called 'humour'...looks like you're lacking some of that... ;)

mr cat, Apr 9, 2005
  10. amazingtrade

Probably got somthing to with the amount of assignments I have still got to do and the fact I will be unemployed in two months time. It kind of dries up any sense of humour. For the past 5 years everything has been reasonably certain, now for the first time since 2000 my future path isn't certain.

11. amazingtrade

Goomer

My understanding of it is that the more you earn, the better accountant you're able to employ, and the more tax you're able to avoid paying. How else do you explain members of the Royal Family and various Lords getting millions of tax payers money in farming subsidies, on top of the various other perks that they experience.

And how do you think the gypsies feel about the stereotypes that abound about them?

I would guess that a traveller, being stung with fairly hefty taxation on the fuel that buy in order to travel, definitely contributes money into the economy, paying VAT on the goods that they buy, etc., and even 'gypsies' buy things, believe it or not, or are you buying into the media coverage about them? It seems slightly unfair to be annoyed about one stereotype but perpetuate another, don't you think?

Goomer, Apr 9, 2005
  12. amazingtrade

I don't want to get into debate about gypsies here as I don't know the perspective groups of indvidual travelers. What I can say however when the traveling fair comes to down crime increases quite dramaticaly on near by roads. So much so that Trafford council now has put a limit on how long they can stay (3 days).

I do not know what group these people belonged to though. It will be interesting to see what happens when I return to university on Monday.

Also most people I know that earn a lot of money pay a lot of money in income tax, some know of ways to get round this, but most people seem to be happy paying income tax.

13. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

I pay 40% on some of mine, personally I think it's time some of these tax-dodging students paid income tax on their massive grants, it only seems fair ;)

Anyway we call em soap swervers round here, going round in their grubby jeans and t-shirts. I bet some of them don't even own a shirt, let alone any burburry. How common

lordsummit, Apr 9, 2005
  14. amazingtrade

GAZZ

Employer should put students through university, then only the ones that ill get a worth while job ill be able to go. I left school at 16 it was my employer who paid for my education upto HNC so why should he pay for other peaple to be educated. Oh and as far as Doctors/ nurses/teachers etc go they should have to work for the goverment for at least 10 years or pay back the cost of educating them.

GAZZ, Apr 9, 2005
  15. amazingtrade

Normaly income tax more than pays for this. Broadly speaking the more qualfications are person has the more they are likely to earn, hence the more income tax the pay, the more goods they are likely to buy.

I personaly would like to see more companies pay for higher education but its not likely to happen, this was a lot more common in the old days than it is now. In the old days if a company liked a person they would pay for their education, my uncle got his degree this way. These days there is so many graduates that companies can get good quality ones without having to pay for it.

Still if a none graudate starts work at a company and the company likes them the company perhaps should pay to educate them to HE level if it makes sense for the company to do so.

There also needs to be better training for those who choose not to go to university. This is a rather more complex issue though.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2005
  16. amazingtrade

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Fekk me - when did YOU go to Uni? Even in 1993 when I started, a grant didn't cover hall fees. Cut the crap! Most of living costs come from life-strangling LOANS, not GRANTS.

As for the gippos - why can't the uni get thugs to move the scum on? Sorry - no time for tax-dodging low lifes. Time was once that travellers did some good and bartered goods and services. Nowadays it seems they'll do anything to cause trouble and freeload. I know a mate who's parents used to be travellers; back in the day they weren't so bad, but they seem to have more "rights" than people who actually PAY for their rights these days...

Just like Glastonbury for example; you have the travellers whinging because there's a huge fence and you have to pay to get in. Well, if you'd not freeloaded and overloaded the site so bad in the late 90s/2000, Mendip council wouldn't have forced Eavis to put up the fence to keep the fest going. Duur. Etc etc.

domfjbrown, Apr 11, 2005
  17. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

Irony Dom, Irony... I finished as you were starting, so probably I was the last to get a grant. Now why don't we tax students on the loans they have to take out. Perhaps I'd better take that idea down, in case someone puts it in their manifesto

lordsummit, Apr 11, 2005
  18. amazingtrade

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

No worries Lord :)

Yeah - my brother and sister (I'm adopted, so HUGE age difference) got grants that covered EVERYTHING and (when my sister left in 1984) gave them around £150 a term on top for dossing with. Grrr...

domfjbrown, Apr 11, 2005
  19. amazingtrade

T-bone Sanchez

Is there not some sort of student tax in Scotland? Im sure I heard that upon graduation you pay 2K.

T-bone Sanchez, Apr 11, 2005
  20. amazingtrade

I am not sure, the scottish system is very different though as you still have grants there. When I graduate I will leave with £8k debts and will be lucky to earn £16k. However many graduates leave with £12k+ debts and can't earn as much especialy in the public sector.

amazingtrade, Apr 11, 2005
Ask a Question