Hard disk mounting (LAmBoY?)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Phill77, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Phill77

Phill77

LAmBoY,

I've got a vague feeling you work for a hard disk manufacturer, is that right?
    If so, can you help settle a bit of an arguement about hard disk orientation, e.g. is it okay to mount them at odd (45degree) angles?

Ongoing arguement at SPCR

Suits me best if you can,

Cheers.

Phill77, Apr 29, 2005
  2. Phill77

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

Hi Phill77,

This isnt a straight cut answer, it depends on the application in which the drive is being used. If we are talking about a single drive in isolation in a PC type application, then firstly I would ask why? And secondly state that the drive will work in any orientation. There are good reasons why a 180deg flip is useful (ie the base pcba facing upward), mainly for thermal convection. The drive base cast is a good uniform heatsink in itslef, whereas the top cover is for labelling and acoustic dampening purposes.

rgds //craig

lAmBoY, Apr 29, 2005
  3. Phill77

Just to add a little more - several points were made in the link about airspeed and spring tensions etc for heads - in a nutshell temperature/humidity/gravity/altitude/windage the servo system will compensate AT ANY ANGLE - thats is afterall what a servo system is for. NB Servo tracks are written during manufacture, some ppl on the forum seem worried about formatting a drive then changing orientation - this is a non-issue.

lAmBoY, Apr 29, 2005
  4. Phill77

hi phill - you arent kevinc on the other forum are you?

lAmBoY, Apr 29, 2005
  5. Phill77

Phill77

Hi Craig,

No I'm not kevinc, I'm pretty much Phill77 everywhere but normally just lurk and absorb.

Because of the shape of the desktop case I use for my audio server, it suits me best to have a drive at 45 degrees. Its on permanently, but I have all the music backed up on another drive in case of failure.

I couldn't see it being an issue, but was a liittle less sure about how the bearings would fare. I just assume that if it is safe to operate in any of the 3 axis, a combination angle is not adding any new loads.

I only asked over here because I recall you being a bit of an expert, so thanks for the advice!

If you don't mind, I'll post your comments in their thread.

Cheers, Phill.

Phill77, Apr 29, 2005
Ask a Question