have i messed up ?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by taz, Jan 15, 2005.

1. taz

taz

ok i have a problem (apart from being mad)
    i recently got some chord signature ic's and connected them to my cd to trivista 300 amp. in doing so i accidentaly caught the volume control and when i switched it back on it was at 75% volume (bloody loud) for about 3 or 4 seconds until i could grab the volume control. at first i thought o no have i blown anything? anyway i slowly turned up the volume and settled down for a listen to my new ic's and wasn't impressed . compared to the old quinnex 2 it was as though a blanket had been removed from the speakers but was very bright and sibliant over the next week they got better but where still to bright so i bought some vdH first ultimate as recommended (i use chord oddessy 4 and speakers are magr20's) as many people on here and zg told me th magr20's are not good with silver cables. trouble is the vdH have not solved the problem?
    could i have damaged the speakers?
    the brightness and sibliance is driving me mad

taz, Jan 15, 2005
  2. taz

Jackthebiscuit Allrise

How does the system sound when you put back in the old quinnex 2, does it sound how it used to?

Rgds
    JTB

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2005
    Jackthebiscuit, Jan 15, 2005
  3. taz

spxy

Shouldn't be using interconnects to tame sibliance.The problem is else where.Most speaker will survive a short loud burst of sound.Mabye the better interconnects have reavealed the true character of your systems sound.To tame siblence, check speakers don't rock between corners and the same with Cd players and amps.

spxy, Jan 15, 2005
  4. taz

ListeningEar

...just to concur, check equipment for good isolation as well as speakers but if the Chord cables are silver wire then try using a high-quality copper in comparison.
    I have been to some users homes that have used Chord cables that are silver wired and the system seems extremely bright with a severe loss in beass weight.
    But like everything, trial and error

ListeningEar, Jan 15, 2005
  5. taz

Saab

could be the cable is doinf what is supposed to do,and let everything through,so something else is to blame,source possibly? the blanket you refer to really shouldn't have been there but you have got used to it maybe

Saab, Jan 15, 2005
  6. taz

Effem Cable manufacturer

A friend of mine has a Nu Vista amp with exactly the same problem after messing around with different cables.

Despite going round and round in circles changing this cable for that cable to cure the 'sibilance', it turned out to be the Nuvistor valves that had taken a hammering after the volume overload.

Send it back to MF and take out a second mortgage :(

Effem, Jan 27, 2005
  7. taz

zanash

Look to your gear ....as other people have said the siblance is not the fault of the cable. In my experience the MF gear has a tendency towards bright and sharp and toppy, which if fine if thats what you want. As to how to reduce this effect hmmm...difficult. You could start by looking at the speakers maybe ? going for a less up front type...note I didn't say less revealing perhaps one of the more neutral types.

zanash, Jan 30, 2005
  8. taz

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

NB

MF would have you believe they have the worlds supply of the rarest valves in the world - nuvistas and trivistas.

Humbug, you can get them on the net for more reasonable prices.

Just wanted to mention in case Effem is right about the cause.

bottleneck, Jan 30, 2005
  9. taz

taz

thanks for the help guys will be getting amp checked

taz, Feb 3, 2005
Ask a Question