Hay fever any other sufferers

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sid and Coke, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Sid and Coke

Sid and Coke

I feel like scratching my eyes out with barbed wire at the moment , :mad: aaaahhhhhhhh !!!!

Sid and Coke, Jun 28, 2005
  2. Sid and Coke

Anex Thermionic

Yes not been able to breathe properly for about 2 weeks now. Tablets doing nothing at all. Such fun.

Anex, Jun 28, 2005
  3. Sid and Coke

Lt Cdr Data om

sid, go to the chemist and get chromoglycate eye drops, optichrom type, they actually damp down the itching, not cheap but worth it.

I have just realized I suffere from congested sinus', and that has been causing tiredness, groggyness, and pressure behing the eyes, so got me some nasal spray to knock it on the head, here's to hoping.

Lt Cdr Data, Jun 28, 2005
  4. Sid and Coke

cab586

try boots antihistamines. work for me.

or injections. i had these when i was younger. 8 of 'em over 8 weeks. never had any problems.

cab586, Jun 28, 2005
  5. Sid and Coke

Bob McC living the life of Riley

I've had it since the age of 26. Luckily loratadine works for me and my local pound shop does a week's worth for a quid. You have my sympathy.

Bob

Bob McC, Jun 28, 2005
  6. Sid and Coke

Lt Cdr Data om

gave me palpitations so I avoid tablet antihistamine topical good for itches, not eyes obviously

Lt Cdr Data, Jun 28, 2005
  7. Sid and Coke

Sid and Coke

I've got myself some (Prescribed) Fexofenadine 120mg tablets (that i suspect do nothing) but I've been taking them for 2 weeks anyway. Beconase nasal spray that does seem to work if i keep the dose up to max, and some Opticrom eye drops. The tablets and nasal spray where bought new this year, the eye drops are last years (opened :eek: ) bottle so i suspect that they have run out of effectiveness. I did try to buy a new bottle yesterday but every single chemist in St Andrews had sold out ( there where plenty of alternatives but why where they still on the shelf i thought ....).

My eyes have been on fire and I'm as miserable as sin at the moment.

I even drove over to the 24 Hr Tesco at midnight last night to get some Optrex eye wash. This seems to give a little light relief too.

Like you Bob, Hay fever came to me late in life. I never suffered from it as a kid or any kind of allergic reaction at all ( mozzies and wasps effect everyone don't they ...?) . My problems only started when i worked in the Middle East, so much airborne dust and apparently the pollen out there is bigger and spikier because of the harsh conditions. Whatever the cause was I've suffered seasonally ever since. Luckily it usually only lasts for about 2 - 6 weeks.

I'm a big strong boy but it's always the little things that floor you , eh....

Sid and Coke, Jun 28, 2005
  8. Sid and Coke

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Used to get it really bad when I was younger... but not so much of a problem in last few years - probably the extra body mass absorbs the histamine better!

If I do get problems, Boots own brand loratadine + beconase nasal spray usually knocks it on the head, and have once to resorted to clarytyn eye drops this year.

But I do know well that horrible feeling... itchy throat, itchy ears , running nose and exactly as you say want to tear my eyes out with barbed wore - absolute torture. I used to find when it got like that that a long shower then just retire to bed, also some paracetemol could help.

Some cities are worse than others, maybe air pollution related, when I lived in Glasgow one summer (14 years ago) it was so bad the doctor gave me a steroid injection in the backside - I didn't have anymore symptoms for weeks. I think it was called Kennilog or something like that? I think the NHS might have gone off steroid use since then.

Cats are the worst thing for me nowadays - 30 mins in a house with cats can give me the full gamut of symptoms including hives and an asthma attack.

alanbeeb, Jun 28, 2005
  9. Sid and Coke

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

I don't bother with any drugs, anti-histamines or whatever any more. I prefer the hay fever. I used to have to take so many pills to fix the hay fever that I'd be virtually comatose. No more. I find that wearing dark glasses offers some relief. I believe that tobacco smoking improved things a bit but, sadly, I've given up that particular pleasure.

It's strange but sometimes I don't suffer the symptoms when I'm outside. It often hits when I get inside again.

So, on the whole, I echo your 'aaaahhhhhhhh' S & C. Incidentally, I've found that scratching my eyes with barbed wire makes matters marginally worse.

One more thing ... It's criminal that exams which play such a part in determining one's future are held in the heart of the hay fever season. Had it been otherwise I could have a proper job today. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2005
    7_V, Jun 28, 2005
  10. Sid and Coke

Anex Thermionic

Hmmm and me, I only started getting it a few years ago when I moved from oop norf to daan sarf with my parents. When I go back norf its fine, must be some of the horrible yellow things they insist on growing everywhere here, rape seed and the like. I've been kaining the nasal spray lately but its cooler this evening so eased up a bit. Mine only seems to last a few weeks too, perhaps its an alergy to a specific type of pollen or something?

Anex, Jun 28, 2005
  11. Sid and Coke

Lt Cdr Data om

What you sayin bout the norf? there's no plants here :D
    Tim, stock up on opticrom in advance, and keep going to the chemist, ask him when they are in next and get him to save you a bottle. you clearly need em bad.
    I still use some old drops and they may well not be as good, but work to some degree.

Lt Cdr Data, Jun 29, 2005
  12. Sid and Coke

johnhunt recidivist

i had bad hay fever when i was a kid and was given the injections. they completly knocked it on the head. i wonder sometimes what was in those phials for them to have such a relativly radical effect. might be better off with the hay fever

johnhunt, Jun 29, 2005
  13. Sid and Coke

Sir Galahad Harmonia Mundi

No hay fever here in Paris, but (sorry, off-topic), if anyone has the ultimate remedy against a good-red/white-wine-related hangover, you have a taker :)

Sir Galahad, Jun 29, 2005
  14. Sid and Coke

analoguekid Planet Rush

As a seller and user of these products, I'd say stuff like sodium cromoglycate (ancient medicine that doesn't work in most, also beconase and opticrom are both steroids, so need to be taken constantly, and preferably a couple of weeks before symptoms normally start, best anti histamine for me seems to be levocetirizine (prescription only) and it's earlier incarnation cetirizine, both seem to do more with itchy eyes and blocked nose that the other tablets, for instant relif there are 2 topical antihistamines one nasal spray one eydrops, Rhinolast, for nose, and optilast for eyes, unlike beconase and opticrom these can be taken on onset of symptoms (as well as prophylactically) as they are anti histamine rather than steroid. Both work in about 15-30 mins.

If you suffer persistantly I'd go to a doc, 7 tablets over the counter about £4-7 doc will give you 28(sometimes 56) for price of prescription, another example is rhinolast nasal spray, available over the counter in 5ml bottles for £7 approx, doc will give you a 20ml bottle for prescription price, thing about anti histamine, as a responsable adult, doc will more or less give you what you say works for you so ask!

analoguekid, Jun 29, 2005
  15. Sid and Coke

penance Arrogant Cock

local honey :)

penance, Jun 29, 2005
  16. Sid and Coke

mr cat Member of the month

yeah, I heard about this over 10 years ago - basically, the bee's make honey from the local flowers that would cause the hay fever...this is supposed to counter act that...worth a try at least...!

mr cat, Jun 29, 2005
  17. Sid and Coke

Sid and Coke

We very often have fresh cut flowers in the house. Very rarely do they effect me ( sometimes them big smelly lilies have a mild effect, especially if they are dripping with pollen - then I hoover them :D ).
    I have a suspiscion that my problem is more related to grass, or tree pollen.

Sid and Coke, Jun 29, 2005
  18. Sid and Coke

pe-zulu

Prevention is better than cure, so abstinence is the only way. Sorry.

pe-zulu, Jun 29, 2005
  19. Sid and Coke

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Stop drinking cow's milk. Try switching to goat's milk.

technobear, Jun 29, 2005
Ask a Question