HD resolution

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by brca, May 21, 2008.

1. brca

brca Rookie

I was wondering, can anyone tell me, if there is a visible difference in picture quality between 720P and 1080P material from your viewing distance of let's say 3 to 4 meters.

brca, May 21, 2008
  2. brca

shrink

depends how big your screen is doesnt it.. on something like a 42" from that distance, probably not, but on larger its very possible.

shrink, May 21, 2008
  3. brca

Graffoeman

Oh Yes! Provided that your TV is Full HD (ie a 1920x1080 pixel count) and not just HD Ready, you will definitely see a difference. If your set has less resolution than Full HD then the signal will be resampled to fit whatever resolution is available, with Full HD you will get pixel-pixel mapping with a 1080p signal and the result is dramatic! That's not to say that a 720p picture is by any means bad, but the difference is readily seen.:MILD:

Graffoeman, May 29, 2008
  4. brca

brca Rookie

With all do respect, but I haven't seen any difference between 720P and 1080P on the 42" plasma display from 3 to 4 m viewing distance.
    Btw, I have Pioneer 4270XD plasma TV and I was wondering if I should go for full HD display. After my experience with different LCD and plasma displays and 720P and 1080P experiments, my conclusion was, that there is no difference in picture quality.
    So, I guess I will save some money.
    Thanks any way :)

brca, May 29, 2008
  5. brca

cooky1257

It depends how close you sit and how big your screen(assuming it is fully capable).
    720p is perfectly good for most domestic settings- I can tell you you soon forget you're watching HD-it's only really apparent, when switching back just what lo res looks like ie soft and fuzzy.
    All IMHO.

cooky1257, May 29, 2008
  6. brca

lAmBoY Lothario and Libertine

is the source material 720p? Maybe thats why you dont see any difference? Do you have a BluRay player to use for comparisons?

lAmBoY, May 30, 2008
  7. brca

SteveS1

Seen. But not broadcasted. With no prospect either - so, unless you need Full HD for games/DVD, save your money.

Steve

SteveS1, May 30, 2008
  8. brca

endust4237

It is more complex than it seems...

You can judge the quality difference if the source was native 720p and you watch the picture on a native 720p display and if the source is 1080p and its display is 1080p native as well. However there are not too many 1080p sources yet (all the broadcast television camcorders are 1080i at the moment) so when you watch 1080p movie you can have a chance to see it as native 1080p source if you have film original or computer generated animation.

endust4237, May 30, 2008
  9. brca

Dick Bowman

I can't get away from the feeling that here's yet another opportunity for Big Business to exploit the poorly-informed customer.

I see 720p/i and 1080 p/i and I think I comprehend (it's surely not that difficult). Yet the slogan is "HD Ready" - no mention of the specifics.

Even more interestingly I've just visited a couple of retail websites and looked at what they say. One well-known department store - beloved of the moderately well-heeled - says nothing more than "HD Ready", no magic numbers there at all. While Comet seems to be more forthcoming and tells me the numbers.

Somewhat reminiscent of retailers being coy about analogue/digital tuners.

Dick Bowman, May 30, 2008
  10. brca

brca Rookie

The comparison was done in the store. BR player, 1080P material and seen on two different displays. Both plasma, Pioneer HD ready, so max 720P and Panasonic full HD, so 1080P. Distance 3 to 4 meters. Difference in quality, none what so ever.
    That is the reason I wanted to ask you out there about your experiences. So once again, I didn't see any difference.

brca, May 30, 2008
Ask a Question