HDCD - is it a dead duck?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ModelCitizen, Jan 14, 2004.

1. ModelCitizen

ModelCitizen

In my quest for the right DAC I keep coming across HDCD.
    I can't work out whether I should make sure my DAC had HDCD capability or not.
    Did the format take off?

I've had a quick look through my CDs and haven't noticed HDCD written on the back of them which leads to me to think that it's not being extensively implemented.

The HDCD web site gives a different impression though!

Do most/all modern decent DACs (stand alone or integrated) implement HDCD and do many CDs?

Thanks.

ModelCitizen, Jan 14, 2004
  2. ModelCitizen

Graham C

I see it sometimes on CDs. As often as not they are unidentified on the label. They do generally sound better.

Graham C, Jan 14, 2004
  3. ModelCitizen

MartinC Trainee tea boy

HDCDs definitely sound better than regular CDs when played through an HDCD capable DAC. I have both regular and HDCD versions of the Dire Straits "Sultans of Swing" best of album, and the difference is not subtle. Going from one to the other the regular version sounds noticeably more artificial.

Unfortunately though the number of HDCDs produced is rather limited. They aren't all though clearly labelled as such, and the lists at HDCD.com are certainly not comprehensive. There are for instance some movie soundtrack CDs recorded as HDCDs, which aren't on the site AFAIK (Ocean's 11 and Road to Perdition for e.g.).

CJROSS over on HFC is probably the best bet for more details on HDCDs.

MartinC, Jan 14, 2004
Ask a Question