Head amp with PRAT and current for 600ohm

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by DM-10, Mar 16, 2004.

1. DM-10

DM-10

Hi everybody,

I need a good head amp for my AKG-240 Monitor (600ohm).
    The problem is to find some amp with current for this AKG and with good PRAT.
    I like sound of Densen with Dyn and I'm looking the same sound with my AKG.

Any idea?

Thank's in advanced

DM-10

DM-10, Mar 16, 2004
  2. DM-10

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Headphone amp with PRaT? Hmmm, thats a tricky one. You could try the Graham Slee Solo, which is said to be something like that, and should drive a 600 ohm can no problem. You might have a hefty wait to get one though....

Alternatively, you could always go for a PPA, built by Larocco or JMT, do a search on google for PPA with those names. This is a DIY design which apparently sounds good.

Personally I use a Perreaux SXH-1, but I have no idea whether it would be comfortable with 600 ohm cans (probably will, but dont quote me). I think that sounds ace too, but then I use 32 ohm cans, so quite different to your situation.

And of course, theres the Naim Headline, but its expensive, and only apparently sounds at its best in an all Naim system (but then again, you may have one).

BTW, if you really like PRAT, then perhaps also consider a change of headphone, Grado's are good for PRAT, and so is the Sony MDR-CD3000 (Sony not quite as PRATTY as the Grados but certainly equally enjoyable IMO).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2004
    PBirkett, Mar 16, 2004
  3. DM-10

DM-10

Hi PBirkett,

thank's for the info. Change the headphones is a good idea but I like the sound balance of AKG-240Monitor.
    I think there is other AKG model (240 or 271) with no 600ohm (about 32) but I don't know about his sound.
    Auditioned Grado SR-60, Senheiser 580 Precision and the AKG-240Monitor was more neutral,speed........It like dyn sound.

best

DM-10

DM-10, Mar 17, 2004
  4. DM-10

PBirkett VTEC Addict

The new AKG K240 Studio (55 ohm) is NOTHING like yours FYI. You might wish to audition the new Beyer DT860 though, sounds like it may be worth a punt.

PBirkett, Mar 17, 2004
  5. DM-10

Joolsburger

The PPA head amp circuit seems well respected by those in the know and can be bought and built on bespoke basis on line.
    Many reckon that the performance per pound is way ahead of commercial rivals.

A fella just made me a nice little portable mint tin amp and also makes up PPA based amps but there are loads of respected builders about.

Check headfi and search PPA for some possibilities, I have found the people there really know their onions.

Joolsburger, Mar 17, 2004
  6. DM-10

Remo

Pereaux

Quick question.

Where'd you get your Pereaux? And is it 240v?

I've got some Grado RS1s arriving tomorrow. The cheaper Grados [which is all I've heard so far] definitely have PRaT.

Remo, Mar 22, 2004
  7. DM-10

PBirkett VTEC Addict

www.totallywired.co.nz

And yes it is 240v - Great amp for driving low impedance cans like Sonys and Grados.

PBirkett, Mar 22, 2004
Ask a Question