Headphone amplifiers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Goomer, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Goomer

Goomer

Hello, hello

I've been looking at headphones for a little while and have now taken the plunge on cookies' Beyerdynamic DT990's (thank you, Cookiemonster) - next stop: head amps.

I'm going to try the headphones through my normal amplifier first - a Nakamichi AV-10 - and if they sound okay I will obviously use this. In case the Nak isn't up to the job, I remember reading about a DIY headphone amplifier which is built into a sweety tin of some sort but can't for the life of me remember where - could anyone point me towards details of this, please?

Also, if I get lazy and decide to buy a head amp, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced one(circa £100.00) which would be as well suited to replaying Joni Mitchell as it would Judas Priest?

Thanks in advance....

Goomer.

Goomer, Dec 11, 2003
  2. Goomer

Warren M

I think you are talking about the mint amp.
    look here for an idea about some headphone amps.

Warren M, Dec 11, 2003
  3. Goomer

technobear Ursine Audiophile

You'll be looking at second hand then :)

technobear, Dec 11, 2003
  4. Goomer

Goomer

Yep, secondhand would definitely be an option I'd consider(practically everything else I own was bought this way) - do you have any suggestions for ones to look out for?

Cheers.

Goomer, Dec 11, 2003
  5. Goomer

MO! MOnkey`ead!

The Xcansv2 can be had for a little over £100. lilolee is selling one I think! Might be worth sending him a pm or looking for his advert over on hifichoice. Not sure he advertised it over here or not.

Also, might be worth giving pbirkett a pm. Not seen him post for a little while, but he's familiar with the DTs. I think he prefered them just using the built in socket in his rotel!

MO!, Dec 11, 2003
  6. Goomer

Donut

I have the X-Cans V2 and like it a lot (cost me just over £100 new). Now the X-Cans V3 is out you may get a good deal on the V2. Worth a try.
    Donut

Donut, Dec 12, 2003
Ask a Question