Headphone cable problem

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, Oct 20, 2004.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I posted this in the DIY sub forum, hopefully it will get more response here.

I can't solder to save my life but my headphone cables keep failing. I am currently using a cheap maplin cable with many different adaptors so it fits. However this cable is now distorting the sound so there must be a short.

I need a cable with one 2.5mm and one 3.5mm jack at the other end. Does anybody know if I can buy push fit connectors to make this rather than solder ones?

Also does anybody know if I could buy one of these cables ready made? I don't want to spend any more than £10 otherwise I might invest in new phones and then make myself brankrupt to pay for it.

Thanks.

amazingtrade, Oct 20, 2004
  2. amazingtrade

Rory satisfied

sennheiser also use that connection AT.

this is very naughty of me to suggest, but i've scammed them a few times by saying my Sennheiser cables have broken and they've just sent me a new one in the post!! They have truthfully broken twice, but they were out of the 2yr warranty

Try your luck mate- you want to say u have HD570 headphones (as they have 2.5mm to 3.5mm leads ;) ;) )

Rory, Oct 22, 2004
  3. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

It just so happens I have a faulty senhieser cable, I used the sen cable for while on my Philips but the connection was slightly too small so they kept falling out of the headphones due to gravity if that makes sense. I will see if I can find it and post it off.

Thanks for the suggestion. It amazed me how the dealers want £15-£20 for those cables when they must cost £1 to make. When I took my old headphones back to Senhieser HD495's back to Richer Sounds to replace a drive unit they sent them off to Sen and as well as repairing the drive unit they gave me another cable. Both these cables are not broken though. It is not that I don't look after them I think it is more that I use headphones more than domestic ones are designed for.

amazingtrade, Oct 23, 2004
Ask a Question